In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Saiga vs sks

CorbinnCorbinn Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
edited May 2003 in Ask the Experts
Would the saiga 7.62x39 be a better investment than the sks as far as accuracy and durability goes?

Comments

• Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    No My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
  • Options
    Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    While the SKS is a proven battle rifle and is incredibly durable, I would go with the Saiga. I have both and the fit and finish on the latter in very nice. Plus the Saiga will take hi-cap mags with no problem. Both are consistently accurate in my experience.

fc3000ae.jpg"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr.PissyPants
    Plus the Saiga will take hi-cap mags with no problem.

Pleas note: The Saiga will NOT take hi-capacity AK magazines--at least not without modification. People at gun shows like to "half-modify" the latch on the Saiga so that a standard high-capacity mag. will latch in the magazine well, but it will NOT function properly if you try to use it! You either need to modify the magazine itself, or the Saiga inorder to get the high-cap. mag capability with it.

Specific to Corbinn's question:

First (and I suspect it's just a matter of semantics) I would not consider buying either a Saiga or SKS as an "investment." Both are guns you buy to shoot; they are unlikely to go up in value.

I own both a 7.62x39 Saiga and two SKS's. The differences I can think of at the moment:

I wouldn't say there is much difference in accuracy and durability between the two. The Saiga--effectively an AK--is slightly simplier in design, lighter and a better canidate for high-cap. mag. conversion.

The finish on the Saiga, while durable and effective, is removed with normal cleaning solvents (Hoppes #9 will soften and remove it). The SKS--usually blued--can be soaked in just about any solvent you like with no ill effects.

The SKS has a complete forward hand-guard--which it helpful in preventing burns when handling while hot. The Saiga doesn't use the AK's front hand-guard so you can't grip it fully on the forward stock while it's hot. Additionally, the forward stock can become very hot during extended fire; I made mine look like Swiss cheese to help keep it cool.

You can get an SKS for atleast $50 cheaper than the Saiga right now.

I'll post more "differences" if I think of them later.
  • Options
    Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    quote:Pleas note: The Saiga will NOT take hi-capacity AK magazines--at least not without modification. People at gun shows like to "half-modify" the latch on the Saiga so that a standard high-capacity mag. will latch in the magazine well, but it will NOT function properly if you try to use it! You either need to modify the magazine itself, or the Saiga inorder to get the high-cap. mag capability with it.

Thank you competentone, I forgot to mention that I had to file a little off the magazine latch to get it to fit. Took ten minutes and my 30rd'er works like it was made for it.

fc3000ae.jpg"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just for reference, I have some of the 20rd, 30rd, and even 40rd mags that will fit and function in a 7.62X39 Saiga. Unlike some of the guys at the shows that started selling the Saiga last year, I have sold them for a decade and know what is needed to get the magazines to work.

As for the investment concept, I guess I question that as well, but another factor to consider is that the Saiga has a built in scope base, so mounting a scope is a piece of cake. However, when it comes to aftermarket bells and whistles, the SKS is the hands down winner. With all of the stocks , comps, scope mounts, bipods, etc., etc. The SKS has a great many options to be had.

In general, they both have their positive and negative points.

LRARMSX@MCHSI.COM
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a Chinese Norico SKS & I've shot the Saiga. Accuracy from what I could tell was the same, pretty dern good. I bought my SKS back in 1996, had I had the choice back then I think I would've gotten the Saiga instead. The SKS has a few things I don't like which I think the Saiga corrects to an extent.

1. Detachable Mags

SKS- Yes their are all sorts of duck billed SKS "detachable" 30rd mags out there. Most of them I've found are crap. The 1 or 2 in six that did work were a pain to load & unload into the rifle. One almost needs 3 hands to get the mags into the gun. One hand to hold the rifle, one hand to keep the bolt pulled back, & one hand to change the magazine. Not very tactical! I've tried some of the other gizmo's out there for detachable mags as seen at gun shows... good luck.

Best thing I found is the 20rd fixed Chines mag. I can load 20rds in there by hand and then just use 10rd strippers after I blow through the 20rds. With modern technology it seems stupid to rely on stripper clip technology.

Saiga- Limited to 10rd mags but they change out real easy, just like an AK. Could carry more mags with you if needed. Also there are lots of shops that will change over Saiga's to use full cap mags. I know of a place that sells them for $8ea.

2. Scope Mounts
    SKS- I have tried some of the replaceable top cover mounts, let me tell you the are not easy to get on. Most require lots of filing. The one I tried I bought at a gun show for $20. Never got it to fit.

Saiga- It has a side rail as mentioned above. Clamp on the ring mount & you are done.

3. Reliability

I think they are both super reliable.

Don't get me wrong if you leave that SKS in the factory configuration, it will work great. I guess if I had to choose I would go with the Saiga. But now I'm to that point where I can honestly say... BUY BOTH. These guns aren't that expensive. Start with one of the 2 and you can always buy the other. As far as collectibility, I really don't see either one going up hugely. However I remember when Russian SKS rifles sold for $75 w/ ammo included. Missed out on that one.

I'm thinking of starting to collect SKS's. They are neat rifles.

Regards,
    190191.gif
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr.PissyPants

Thank you competentone, I forgot to mention that I had to file a little off the magazine latch to get it to fit. Took ten minutes and my 30rd'er works like it was made for it.

You've fired it with just the magazine latch modification? This modification is normally not reliable--it will (sometimes) fire some, but intermittent stoppages will occur. It needs a feed ramp for 100% reliability (the "ramp" exists on the front of the Saiga magazine, where the AK mag. has a "notch.")