In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

C&R Info Needed

A-37A-37 Member Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
edited May 2003 in Ask the Experts
If I sell my S&W K-22 (mfg 1948)on GB, is a C&R good enough for the buyer? I've heard than any firearm over 50 years old is a C&R. Is this true?

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes....and no.

Guns over 50 years old are considered C&R's; they DO NOT have to be listed on the BATF C&R list. However, military guns must be in their "as issued" configuration.

So, since your gun is not military, & is > 50 years old, it is a C&R.

Your shipment of a C&R must comply with GCA68, as well as state & local laws in the jurisdiction to which it is to be shipped; this is required by Federal law.

Neal
  • A-37A-37 Member Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neal: Thanks for the response. Since a local FFL would mail the K-22 (or any other handgun) for me, is it his responsibility to ensure that all state/federal laws are complied with? Am I off the hook?
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm envious of those of you who have a local FFL willing to do that sort of thing for you.

If your FFL does the actual shipping that certainly takes you off the hook. (If he ships to another FFL, all he has to do is verify the license online, and, for shipment to a C&R, look up the location in State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms ATF P5300.5.) You could do the same checks yourself, but, if he's willing to do it for you, then you don't need to worry.

Neal
  • A-37A-37 Member Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My FFL agent is a decent guy. For a modest handling fee, he takes care of everything. The fact that he's an old Air Force buddy might have something to do with it.