In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Three Screw Single Six Storage

p0838p0838 Member Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
edited May 2003 in Ask the Experts
When storing an unloaded Ruger three screw for a period of weeks, should the hammer be on safety or resting on the firing pin?

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is one of those "simple at first questions that gets complicated when answered." I would initially respond by saying that either way is O.K. You aren't going to harm anything with the hammer down, you won't weaken the firing pin return spring, and if left on the safety notch you're not going to damage the mainspring. But, you must have some reason for apprehension which you haven't stated. What is your concern here?
  • Options
    rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 186
    edited November -1
    I have one (Blackhawk in 44 mag) I got when my father died in 1986, it's been stored since then in it's box with the hammer down. I'd assume it was in the box about 15 years before he died, the last time I recall us shooting it was in 1964. He got it as a gift and didn't like shooting it.
  • Options
    p0838p0838 Member Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Der Gebirgsjager
    My concern was the two areas that you listed. The Springs. I believe that I will leave it on safety so as not to compress the firing pin spring.
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahhhh! Well, then, like I said.....either way.[:)]
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rule of thumb is to keep "flat leaf style" springs relaxed, but "wire coil" springs are fine either way.

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.