In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

nickel plating

TIREMAN1TIREMAN1 Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
edited May 2003 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone here do nickel plating(maybe crome) say a revolver cyl? Close to the mid west? Guessament on cost? Thanks / Eddie

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Has anyone tried Caswell's electroless nickel plating kits?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking for names of companies who do nickel plating of firearms. I have a quackenbush which needs replating.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    anyone know when gun makers started offering nickel plating? was it electro plating or what? thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have decided to purchase a Remington 7400 Synthetic Carbine. I also was thinking about getting the exterior Nickel Plated. The gunsmith however didn't seem to think the idea was so great. He said that my gun basically wouldn't function as well as without the exterior plating. Is this true? Is there any negative effects of nickel plating? Are there any positive effects? Or is it just for looks? Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt's PT, 25 Cal. automatic. The Plating is just beginning to pit from age. It must be a scarce item or has a high retail value, because every gun dealer in my area wants to purchase rather than talk about re-plating. I have no idea what it is worth but I have had it for over 35 years. Can someone tell me if replating is not a good idea, would it harm the value, function or anything at all?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Has anyone tried to nickel plate using electroplating kits with Nickel Chloride or Nickel Sulfate and nickel anodes?

I am curious about recommended techniques, surface preparation, current density and annode placement and anything else which could help make a more successful job.

I do not expect professional grade plating (since this is an inexpensive kit for a $160) but just trying to avoid known problems with better planning. I think one kit can easily due 10-15 guns so it will be inexpensive if I can get at least mediocre results.

I'll practice on some parts guns but appreciate anyone's suggestions.

Master of the unnecessary
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can any of you guys recommend someone to plate a receiver? A related question - I have a shop here in Indy that does plating for me all the time. Can I give them a receiver to plate if they have no FFL?

Thanks guys,

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What are the pros and cons of nickel plating a shotgun receiver? They look real nice but are they durable? Are they prone to chip off or do they wear off like blueing does or do they hold up well? Also approximately what does the process cost and do you know of anyone that does a good job at a reasonable price in a timely manner?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have a customer who has a .32 Colt and desires
    to have nickel plating replaced. Any idea what
    cost will be and who might do it? Jerry
    870-347-6358
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have an quackenbush which I am restoring. It has little plating left. Where can I have this rifle replated as it was originally and what kind of cost would be reasonable?
  • Options
    nitrouznitrouz Member Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it's an expensive process for a shotgun. Maybe a Mariner Mossberg would be cheaper...

51273.jpg
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some things are not worth doing, and I think that this may be one of them.

The most important consideration is that most shotguns made today have aluminum receivers, and you can only plate steel; you didn't tell us what kind of shotgun you have. In any case, a shotgun would need to be completely taken apart in order to plate the receiver. Plating adds thickness to any object, so some of the wood might have to be relieved in order to reassembly it, a tedious, expensive process.

This is the type of work that could only be done well by a handful of custom gunsmiths. Since time & money are considerations, that pretty much eliminates the possibility of your getting this done.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nmyers, It is a remington 3200. Thanks for the good info. Sounds like reblueing will be the way to go.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only thing I would add in terms of pros and cons is, if you've ever seen a nickel-plated gun, some of them gleam like sterling silver -- they can be gorgeous. But having one plated yourself is a whole different oyster than buying one already nickel plated from the factory, like a Remington Marine, or an old Charter or Star.

Life NRA Member

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."