In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

which 40-65?

hairfacehairface Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited May 2003 in Ask the Experts
Is the 40-65 by Pedersoli 40-65 WCF (bottle-neck) or is it straight?

Comments

• Options
    MrGnAMrGnA Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to this article it is based on the 45-70 which would make it bottle-neck.
    http://www.blackpowderonline.com/JUNE02Tggljntlvractn.htm

email me at bill@ArmChairHunter.com
  • Options
    blackpowdermaxblackpowdermax Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hairface....The 40-65 WCF is a 45-70 that has sides that are tapered down to 40 caliber. There is no shoulder, so don't think you could call it a bottleneck. Quite easily made by running 45-70's through a full length 40-65 sizer and trimming to proper length, the same length as the 45-70.

It is essentially Winchester's version of the 40-60 Marlin that came out earlier in 1881. It is not an original Sharps loading. Originally made for the 1885 Winchester Hiwall and the 1886 lever action. I shoot the 40-60 Marlin and it is a nice round, hardly any recoil in the old heavy rifles.

You can also buy new brass that is properly headstamped, I think from Starline.

Hope this helps.....

max

load the old ones with the old tools.....
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Max has it dead-on. I have one of those rifles, one of the very first imported by Dixie, and it is a good shooter. Also have a Browning BPCR in 40-65; they have very little recoil when shooting 360 gr. bullets, haven't tried my 400 gr mould yet. I form my own brass from the plentiful 45-70 brass; if you're not picky, you can get once fired brass for about $20/100. Emery

"Well done is better than well said"
    Ben Franklin