In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

sight removal ?

chiselerchiseler Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited June 2003 in Ask the Experts
Am working on my Winchester 22 - model 74. Am getting ready to blue it. I am wondering how I get the sights off so I can better clean around them. Do they come off from either side? Brass punch and a hammer ? Any pointers here? Put them back on the same way? Thanks guys.

Chiselerinwood
Some carve out a living, others just chisel.

Comments

• PythonPython Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chiseler;
    The sights on you're '74 should be set in dove tails.
    If so, the drift out with a SMALL soft punch and a small hammer.
    Brass and or aluminum punchs are ideal. Care should be taken not to allow the sights to twist in the dove tails while drifting. This can and will distort them to the point the sights will no longer be held tightly. As the dove tails are the same size across, it really dosent matter which way they are moved. Just be careful when re-installing the front sight, not to drive it in backward. I did that once, really aggravating. Take you're time, just tap them, don't try to move them all at once. Even with a soft punch you can still mare the surface if yu hit them too hard.
  • brayhavenbrayhaven Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good advice & if you do distort them, come back & we'll tell you how to tighten them back up :o).
  • mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some sights like to be removed from left to right (looking down the bbl. toward muzzle) and I just make it a practice to remove all sights that way to keep things easy, unless specifcally told otherwise. So far, I haven't come across any instructions to the contrary. Emery

"Well done is better than well said"
    Ben Franklin
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Mazo Kid,

You need to go one step farther and say, Sights that are made to be remove from left to right, should be installed from right to left.

Just to keep everyone straight.

Measure twice, cut once.
    calipers_open_close_md_wht.gif
    Empty the clip!
    smoking_gun_md_wht.gif
  • mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dheffley, you are right. I should have mentioned that in my post. Ya know how it is; sometimes you just ASSUME that folks will know that when re-installing the sights. Such is not always the case. Emery

"Well done is better than well said"
    Ben Franklin
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    [:D]

Measure twice, cut once.
    calipers_open_close_md_wht.gif
    Empty the clip!
    smoking_gun_md_wht.gif
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    What about 10/22 sights? Getting ready to install a new set on mine and want to do it right the first time.