In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lyman #2 alloy, alternate formulas?

shrekbuzzardshrekbuzzard Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited June 2003 in Ask the Experts
If I have only 95/5 solder or pure tin will it homogenize into the smelt with wheelweights without special flux or fancy methods?I think I have the #s worked out on amounts to add,just need to know if i'll end up making an alloy or a useless mess.

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    yes they will melt together just fine, you should have some bee's wax for flux though.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I have been using almost straight wheel weights with a 24" length of 95-5 solder in a 20# batch for a while. They are really hard. Almost no leading at pistol velocities, manageable leading up to 2200 fps. My 175 grain 40 cal recoved bullets at 850 fps have no deformation when fired into dirt.

Why does everyone feel the need to burn that much powder?
  • Options
    taperloctaperloc Member Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome shrekbuzzard,

I have an excellent article from an NRA pub. that covers bullet casting, methods, formulas, test, etc. If your interested, e-mail me and I'll send you a xerox copy.

Taperloc.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey taperloc. I need yuor e-mail or just go to my profile and send me a coppy of the article to my e-mail.Thanks a bunch fellas.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taperloc
    Welcome shrekbuzzard,

I have an excellent article from an NRA pub. that covers bullet casting, methods, formulas, test, etc. If your interested, e-mail me and I'll send you a xerox copy.

Taperloc.