In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

High Capacity weapon for self defense.

flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a cabin deep in the woods of northern NY State. I already have several rifles up there, but not a high-capacity weapon for self-defense. So, I am looking for a high-capacity rifle or shotgun - preferably semi-automatic. I'm not sure which way to go here, and I'm hoping that you guys could steer me in the right direction.

Comments

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good short-barrel shotgun with an extended magazine can be had relatively cheaply. Also, many 10-17 round pistols can fit the bill nicely. My preferred home defense weapon is a Glock 20 (10mm) with two 15 round magazines loaded and ready to go.

Glock.jpg
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I will agree with bambihunter a Glock 20 with hi caps will fit the bill. [8D] It looks like Bambihunter is ready for some serious shooting. [:D] Mossburg made a bullpup 12ga pump. This would fit the bill also.

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer reliability. I have a S&W 629 w/ 4" barrel and a Benelli M1. For backup, I have an 870 w/ extended mag.
  • Options
    BiggerHammer24BiggerHammer24 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the perfect weapon for you and will send a picture if you send your e mail address to mine BiggerHammer@bignet.net remind me of this posting You will really like this and it isn't a arm and a leg to get BiggerHammer[:)]

BiggerHammer
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey guys -

Thanks for all the input.

I'll keep the Glock 20 in mind, although in New York State it is a solid 6 mos to get a pistol permit (my NYC permit took nearly a year). Therefore, I am thinking long guns.
  • Options
    kitfookitfoo Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm from upstate NY as well, and I think you don't really need something like that for self-defense. I'd say the rifles or shotguns you already have are fine. Its not South Central LA up there. lol If you want to keep people off your property a good sign that says "Trespassers will be shot" will keep the liberals away. Other than that, put an electric fence up with some beer cans attached to it to keep the drunk campers and rednecks busy! [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    kitfoo -

I know it's safe up there. I've never had a problem at all. It's just I have no niegbors and my sister and mother have been using the place lately, and should somebody know they are there alone, I want them to be able to pull out something that would scare the s%^t out of anybody should they need to. I'm looking for a very strong visual impact.
  • Options
    kitfookitfoo Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Then I'd say a good ol pump shotgun would do the trick. That sound always makes people stop and think twice! I'm sure you could find one pretty cheap on this site.
  • Options
    bigcountry_75214bigcountry_75214 Member Posts: 494
    edited November -1
    How about the ole Remington 870 with extended magazine tube? That will give you 7-8 shots. Add in slugs, buckshot, and the sound of that gun being "wrapped" might be enough defense in itself.[:p]
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are getting this for someone else to use, make sure they get very familiar with handling, firing the pistol and know how it functions. This should include misfires, stovepipes, etc.

As an aside,

I have a friend who had purchased a pistol for self defense and never fired it. I took her along with me one day and after the first shot she was so startled she dropped it. I guess it wasn't quite like on TV.
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Flat8,
    How much are you looking to spend?
    Gogolen
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Flat8,
    How much are you looking to spend?
    Gogolen
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the average defense engagement sees 1 to 3 shots fired, MAX. any LEO will confirm this. hi cap guns were designed for offensive engagements. 99% of americans forget this or ignore this important fact. and the mfg'ers are partially to blame for allowing the feeding frenzy to continue on unsuspecting buyers, thinking the more rounds...the safer i am. high caps have allowed accuracy and proper gun control to be thrown out the window, in exchange for spray and pray logic. and with numerous rifles already in the cabin which are probably loaded, i would question the need for a hi cap handgun. unless of course indians are attacking or muslims are wondering thru the woods looking for cabin targets to destroy! i spoke my peace. no offense intended, just educational dialog. hope i planted a seed! good luck!

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    toolman9mmtoolman9mm Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hk-vp70z with three 18 rounders..once you get that hard trigger pull down it works like a champ...never once jammed on me..not a great carry piece though..just a nice one to sleep with...tom
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Since you said "rifle or shotgun", I won't suggest pistols.

Any of the AK-47 variants with the 30 round clips would be good. Magazines are easy to get and affordable, and the guns are cheap and dependable.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I'm with dheff only because of your need for hi cap. Otherwise I would be with Bigcountry.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bobski is 100% RIGHT!! If you need more than 10 rounds you'll probably be dead anyway. 17 round mags are pretty heavy and impossible to load w/out the handy Glock loading tool. I've got extra mags for my 23 Glock but I certainly don't anticipate needing them. There's about one chance in 500,000 that I'll have to defend myself and in that situation I'll make the first 10 .40's count and not worry much beyond that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Most,
    Maybe it is just me but flat 8 has asked for suggestions in the rifle and shotgun category not pistols, I don't know maybe I read it wrong. For home defense I would definitly suggest a shotgun remington 870's and benelli nova's are great but if you have to have a semi-auto look into a benelli m1. As far as a rifle goes I agree with dheffley on the ak or variants. I also like ar's and mini-14's but that is just me.
    Gogolen
  • Options
    raskilraskil Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    flat8, if it is your sister and mom to whom the firearm is for, you need to know their ability to handle various weapons. If considering a shotgun, you may go with a 20ga instead of 12ga. Maybe a .38 instead of .357mag. Since you're not talking benchrest target shooting, maybe a mini-14/30 would do or as stated, an AK type. The decision needs to be made on the users ability and then they need to practice with that weapon.