In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thompson (pre-ban) 1927 SEMI questions!! HELP!

dallasdavedallasdave Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited December 2003 in Ask the Experts
Please help.

I am in the market for a semi-auto Thompson, new or used. I have been searching all information I can get to help me determine what to buy.

Excapt, I am getting all kinds of conflicting information on these guns!

I have found a seller who is selling a
PRE-BAN (1986 dated) 1929-A1 WEST HURLEY model, complete with
a "L" drum and 5 Crosley 30 round sticks. Price: $1650

First, is this a good buy? Why or why not?

I am getting all kinds of conflicting information on the West Hurleys. Some say they are better guns, others say they are problematic.

Which is true? Are they of a better quality than the latest ones avaialbe new from Khar? Are all West Hurley models the same?

Does the fact that its a pre-ban gun of around 1986 manufacture make it a better gun than the later west hurleys, or is their no difference. And, is it more valuable becsue of its pre-ban date?

Also, it has a 50 round drum. Also PRE_BAN....I have been reading
that the West Hurley drum have problems too..

Also, becuse its a pre-ban era gun, I am under the impression I can leagally own and fire the gun with the 50 round drum too.

I cannot buy a post ban high capacity drum and use it ?

Please help. Thank you.

dave.austin@afc.com
or
daveaustin2002@yahoo.com

Da Choppa

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best information that I've came across about the post W W II production of the Thompson and it's accessories is by a gentlemen named Frank Iannamico.

He has written a excellent book, "American Thunder, The Military Thompson Submachine Guns" that has been partially excerpted in the "Shotgun News".

If you can't obtain the book at least try to get copies of the S. N. articles. The ones i'm aware of were both published in the volume 57, issues 9 and 21.

luger_4.jpg
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not an expert so i'm just offering my opinion. 1650.00 is an ok deal,but not a great one. I think the gun should be worth about the same as a new kahr, around 850.00 depending on condition maybe more. the drums i've seen here on GB go for around 800.00. The 30 round sticks go for around 30.00. If its a west hurley drum from the 80s it should work with the semi auto gun but I have heard that the will not feed the older full auto guns properly. There are no post ban high drums only 10 rounders. The only problem I have had with mine is the little roll pin that holds the firing pin up in place will brake. There was an artical in shotgun news a few months back about the 1927 west hurley thompsons, if you would like i will see if i still have it and copy the artical off for you.

Mike