In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Suggestions?

trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
edited December 2003 in Ask the Experts
What would you suggest for someone who only wants one handgun for defense and possible carry?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking for a cheap yet quality scope set-up for my mak-90. Is there such a thing? Tell me what you think.

Dragon's Lair Fighting Arts, Dragon Style Wind Fist Kung Fu.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    That depends on your experance level, but that said a good 5 shot revolver with a 2 to 3 inch bbl in 38 Sp or 357 Mag is hard to beat for your intended purpose.[^]

Self defence is an ablsolute and natural right. Keep your powder dry! J. Rau, Alaska
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was considering a revolver.What do you think of the .44special Bulldog?
  • Options
    rockfordrockford Member Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trusta45
    What would you suggest for someone who only wants one handgun for defense and possible carry?

I think you will need to provide more info, are you 3'6" lady or 6'3" man. There might be some consideration needed just to figure out what would best suit you.

The better the info the better solution.

Personally, I am not qualified to give the proper answer, but even those who are, would need to have more imput on your part.

Fred
  • Options
    fd-ems-emtfd-ems-emt Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    41 or 44 spl,wheel gun , not magnum,,,,, easy to control,, won't jam,,plenty of stoping power,,,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am 6'2 weigh 190 pounds and have fired guns through the years.I have shot my dads .45 and some friends .357 magnums but dont know much about handguns.I have also fired .38special.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    44. too much gun. think about whats behind your target oo. stay with 38 special.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    fd-ems-emtfd-ems-emt Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    at close range you want something thats going to push the target away from you ,, 38, don't have that uhff ,, 41/44 flat head lead , will do the job, and stop him in his tracks, stay away from jackets heads, don't open enought at close range,,,,
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    The Bulldog would do you fine in .44 special. If too bulky, any good .357 snubby will do.

What men call a hero...is merely a man who is seen doing what a brave man does as a matter of course.
    A man who is in love with learning is a man who is never without a bride, for there is always more. L'Amour
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    I agree a 44 is over kill for a human target. And its larger and more uncomfortable to carry(a 22 in the pocket is better than a 45 in the gun safe) but you must decide what weapon you have confidence in. I can tell you the 38/357 snubbies with 110 or 125 (+P in the 38) will do a good job if required. I have carried CCW for about 30 years and still carry a Ruger SP 101 357 with 2 1/4 BBl a good portion of the time.[:)]
    PS: No bullet will 'push' someone away from you.[:(]

Self defence is an ablsolute and natural right. Keep your powder dry! J. Rau, Alaska
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    If it is for self defence and CCW nothing smaller than the 9mm and as large as you can fire and carry with confidence. There is nothing wrong with the 9mm. The 40S&W the 357SIG the 45acp the 38 special the 45LC the 44 special or the 10mm. Find a gun that suits your hand then find a calibur that works for you. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO