In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scout Rifle UNSAFE???

YZriderYZrider Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
edited December 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have built a scout rifle on an 1916 spanish Mauser.308WIN,barrel reduced to 17 inches,fitted w/custom stock,XSsights mount & an Burris scout scope.Headspace has been checked & verified.This rifle shoots very well(bucks a bit though),is very lite and handy.I was "informed" that these models were UNSAFE in .308WIN.,however cases show no unusual marks or stretching and as stated headspace is sound.Any others in-put on this subject welcomed,thanks,R.B.

Comments

• kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    The 1916 is a small-ring Mauser which has two locking lugs rather than the three lugs found on the large-ring 98-type Mausers. Although many have been rechambered to .308, the practice is not recommended. The pressure of the .308 is too high to safely use in the small ring action. I'd get a 7x57 barrel and blast away, although the ammo's not as cheap the performance is close and the bolt isn't going to break.[;)]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was chambered for the 7.62CTME, which while the same dimentions as the 5.62x51Nato it operates at a lower pressure. In turn the 7.62x51Nato operates at lower pressure than the 308Win.

The CTME was adopted as a interium round, as it allowed the arsonels to get tooled up for the new NATO round (everything's the same except for the bullet weight and powder charge) while the armories converted existing rifle inventories as the new rifle was not yet available to be issued to the troops.

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • YZriderYZrider Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Tailgunner1954, research shows 7X57 Mauser @46,000CUP & .308WIN @52,000CUP by SAAMI specs,it would probably be prudent to handload the ammo for this rifle with a slight reduction, and still be able to use existing configuration of barrel & chambering.thank you for your input ,regards,Rick.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 3 of the old 1916 rifles in .308 but I don't use factory ammo. I load my own with a 300 savage equivalent and get good results.

Mobuck
  • YZriderYZrider Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    MOBUCK thanks for the info as the .300savage is also listed @ 46,000CUP by SAAMI specs good info,I do not want to re-barrel this gun as suggested, for as is ,believe it or not it shoots 1.5" @ 100yds now,I will try some .300savage loads as you have suggested,thanks,Rick.