In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt or S&W

jaoobjaoob Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
edited January 2004 in Ask the Experts
I used to have a S&W model 17 K 22 but sold it years ago. I just started looking for another at shows. Today I seen a Colt Mark III .22 at a shop and wondered how it compared to the S&W. Better, worse, or about the same. The price was 300.00 on the Colt. I just looked at it thru the glass I did not have it in my hands. It did look good.
Looking for opinions.
Thank You.

Jim

Comments

• Chaser11Chaser11 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D] I have a Colt Trooper MK III in a 6" blue 22 and a S&W 17 with target grips, hammer, amd trigger. both are very accurate revolvers, the 17 trigger is S&W smooth and beats the colt in that dept. but Both are great shooters. I have a MKIII in 6" .357 and 4".22Mag also .the 22mag don't seem to be near as accurate,and its not just the site difference i got 2" mod 10 that wil out shoot the 22Mag Colt. What feels best to ya and go for it.[:D] [:D] [;)]

American used to Roar like Lions for Liberty- Now they Bleat like Sheep for Security.
    Always Remember Security without Liberty is called PRISON! -
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Given a choice between S&W and Colt, I would rather ride than Sit & Wail.

Colt stay tight longer.

What men call a hero...is merely a man who is seen doing what a brave man does as a matter of course.
    A man who is in love with learning is a man who is never without a bride, for there is always more. L'Amour
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    I would rate them as equals in quality and accuracy. A lot of people seem to think that the MK III was the begining of the end for Colt QC. It wasn't, but people didn't adjust well to Colts attempts at reducing costs, but people still bemoan the fact that S&W stopped the pinned barrels also. Bothe the Colt and the S&W are quality revolvers that you should have many, many years of enjoyment out of.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    s&w. period.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    I've owned a bunch of both, and entirely agree with Punchie....both Colt and Smith make high quality revolvers, well made, well finished, reliable, and accurate.

Between the K-22 and the Mk. III, I agree with Chaser11....a slight nod to the K-22 for a little bit smoother trigger, but they're both about equal in accuracy.

The only instance where one brand outshines the other.....the Colt Python, which, IMO, is the best revolver made.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For my large hands, pushing the cylinder latch release is more ergonomic. I have a pre-model # K22 that I'm very fond of.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I would go with the S&W because the parts for these are much easier to come by. I own a K22 and Colt 22 Diamond Back, and the S&W is more accurate.
  • mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a S&W 17 of which I am very fond of. I agree with the parts/repair situation for S&W and it's more of a user choice, but if you find a real nice clean Colt that rings your chimes, go for it.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • jaoobjaoob Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for everyone's help. I will take a hard look at the Colt and keep on looking for the Smith.

Jim