In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

high capacity weapon for self defense /2

bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
edited January 2004 in Ask the Experts
i want to take this moment to apologize for missing the querry for a long gun with hi cap from the last thread. i see now it was for a long gun, not a pistol. with that established, i'd just like to re affirm my feeling that if you already have rifles in your cabin, the need for hi cap is still for offensive use only. i mean, if youre going to go chasing them out of the house and down the creek bed, that isnt defending, thats tactical. i/e: sound familiar? tactic's??? offensive???? attacking? so, all these hi cap shotguns, hi cap ak47's and clones....folks...they are tactical arms not defensive arms! thye were designed to be hi caps for those long engagements without airdrop resupply behind enemy lines! you know what i mean! dang, one blast of a 12 ga in a closed cabin will get any intruders attention, which goes back to my factual statement, most encounters are 1 to 3 shots max. 30? 60 rounds? in a home invasion? kiss the cabins interior goodbye! get a plain ole simple sbs in 20ga with #9 shot and stick it in the corner! thats my advice. my mother in law packs a stevens sbs 20ga and looks mean holding it with her makeup and big smile! banana clips hanging out the bottom of a semi auto rifle wont do it, but the holes at the end of a sbs will wake up any bad guy and make him get right with his creator real quick.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Former NSSA All American
Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
MO, CT, VA.

Comments

• Options
    Flambeau DanFlambeau Dan Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the way you think, just the sound of the action of a pump gun should get there attention.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ps At ranges "inside the home", I mean less than 20 feet, a load of #9 in the torso is the most lethal load imaginable.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless the only long-gun he has is a single-shot, or bolt gun. These would work, but for an inexperienced shooter, in a panic situation it could be a bad deal...
    Just the "presentation" of a firearm of any type will send most thieves back out the door. It's for those few that won't flee is when I'm glad I got a few extra rounds handy...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should the Economy Break Down, the rioters and looters will be hitting the Suburbs and Farms. If that is the case you may find some in your House, some out Back of your House, some out Front of your House and Some on the Side of your House.

Now Write this down so you don't forget.
    AK-47
    mini-ak.gif

hsas157x100.gif
    sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    Jonny BopJonny Bop Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ruger, i like the way you think[:D]

[IMG]c:\charlton_heston2.jpg[/IMG]
    "From My Cold Dead Hands"
  • Options
    Jonny BopJonny Bop Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i got my home protected with my ak, 5 hi cap mags loaded and ready to go, not counting the 3 low caps that are also ready

[IMG]c:\charlton_heston2.jpg[/IMG]
    "From My Cold Dead Hands"
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No No you got it all wrong, Maximum Firepower is what you want, loads and loads of ammo, class III, class III !

www.ammoday.com
    bulletline.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bunker mentality is what caused the french to be overrun. its an old outdated concept. learn from the germans. as you all can tell, and as a retired professional military man, i never encourage armories of loaded guns in peoples houses. its exactly that sterotype that the anti's want and look for. responsible gun ownership and a well thought out nra defense has always been my belief and theory. the idea of having numerous hi cap guns laying around the house has always concerned me. case in point, what if the perp gets into your house first? you know...you come home and he's there? great! you just armed a mad man. nope, ones all we need. get lots of ammo...yes. and in ny state? heck, those criminal moose and deer are all you have to worry about. is it me? or am i the only one who has never had to brandish an arm in defense in 47 years? maybe its because of my lifestyle and location, but im under the impression that if someone plans for a big firefight, and if it never happens, a sense of disapointment follows. and in some weird psyc way, people with lots of loaded guns tend to dream of the day they get to use em, which is exactly what the antis picture us as. therefore, i never feed into it and will never encourage it. hi cap and armed to the hilt is tactical, not defense. i will say no more.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    3gunner3gunner Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What if, what if, what if. What if the prep just broke into a gun store and has armed himself with a high power/high cap. weapon. Oooppps. There you stand with a sb 20 gauge with #9's.

Bottom line is it's your personnal preference. What is your life and the safety of your family worth. Mine, worth well more than a 20 gauge. If the prep sneaks in my back door he will not hear the rack of a shot gun nor will he looked down the end of a shotgun barrel.

When is the last time you saw or heard of a criminal committing an offense with a sbs???????????????????????????????????????????????

"Have a gun that works every time. All skill is in vein when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."
  • Options
    stringstring Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is one sound in the world that everyone knows. The sound of a shell being loaded into the chanmber of a shotgun! I always thought it was shot placement rather than "spraying"."One Shot One Kill" I do believe is the correct answer. Mr Cooper can't be wrong,just ask any sniper! Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    when was the last time you saw a perp go into a house with an ar-15? i cant stand parnoid gun owners.....if they knew how to shoot, theyd wouldnt have to worry about a billion rounds flying all over Gods creation, the way hollywood paints them. enough of this. lets get back to techno posts.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.