In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cutting dovetail over chamber/bore...revisited

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I'd consider your .142" of steel over the bore as on the 'too thin' side. the .358 win. cart. is a 'high intensity cart.' and has a chamber pressure of about 50,000 cup. your dove tail will be above the part on the barrel that has almost this much pressure. And the fact that you are introducing two 'fault lines' (the corners of the dovetail) at this point.
btw, I don't know were bobski came up with that rubish about ".22's creat 40,000 psi chamber pressure" but .22 RIMFIRES don't even creat 1/2 that chamber pressure (even the .22 wmr dosen't).

Comments

• Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reguarding the first post. I personaly know of two smith 29s that blow out the locking bolt cut in the cylinder.
  • Options
    rwfixemrwfixem Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The standard 3/8" barrel dovetail is approx. .090" deep. Most of these cuts are acceptable on standard centerfire barrels. As in each approach to cutting, measure twice cut once.