In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

three barrel mauser

ryhillryhill Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I've got a rifle with a mauser action that has 3 barrels. The calibers are 22-250, 25-06, and 30-06. It was supposedly manufactured by the Jackson Hole rifle Co. The barrels interchange by threading into the action. Has anyone heard of this rifle before, the specifics on it and what it is worth?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    There was a write up in one of the gun Magazines a few years back and the opinion was they were well made but you could buy 3 rifles for the price . With the scope mounted on the action you would have to rezero each time you changed barrel . There is still a few Co. Sauer for one that make this type of outfit but unless you also had 3 bolts 223 30-06 and 300 win mag head size plus box magazine feed system then very little is to be gained with different barrels with same cartridge head size. Value is big bucks to the right person but IMHO limited market. If however you buy one most likely none of your friends will have one like yours.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ryhill,

Switch barrel rifles as a type are not necessarily rare, they are a just a little more specialized so the average public is not as aware of them.

The benchresters will glue in their receivers and then switch out barrels for either distance changes or cartridge changes for distance and of course Light Varmint weight as opposed to Heavy Varmint weight. This way they can shoot 2 classes or 2 different cartridges.

It used to be seen more in the sporter rifles but sometimes thinking changes and so do styles and designs. Now the big thing (again after 60 years or so) is the Take-Down rifle where part of the forearm comes off with the barrel but the lock-up is accomplished with interrupted threads and just 1/4 turn or 1/3 turn and a detent.

But this rifle of yours can still be done today. Each barrel has to match the contour in the forearm and the receiver will have to come out of the stock in order to fit the next barrel. Usually we put a witness mark on both the barrels and the receiver in order to match headspace each time a barrel is put on. Headspace gauges should be used to assure that the correct headspace has been achieved.

Fortunately you only need the one bolt face diameter. I would have a separate box, follower and spring for the 22-250 set up. The other 2 should function fine with the same box although there could be some feeding issues because of the change in frontal diameter.

Nice rifle! I don't have any idea of price although it will be a little more of a niche rifle rather than just a regular one barrel rifle. No, I haven't heard of that particular rifle either.

Best.