In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt .45 Panama Canal Comm. pistol

power_agpower_ag Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
Colt Government 1911 commemorative pistol. .45 caliber and very beautiful with gold and silver engraving. The pistol is 1 of 250. Purchased in the early 80's. Has anyone else ever seen one of these or have any idea of what they are now worth? I have watched for years and never seen another ever listed anywhere.

Comments

• Options
    SuperMagSuperMag Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting... Have no idea....

But as someone who lived in the Panama Canal Zone for a few years in the 1970's, I might be interested if you settle on a price...

Cheers,

SM
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a "special edition", not a "Colt commemorative". That is, it is a "plain" gun that was decorated by some company, then sold through ads. (A real "Colt commemorative" would have been decorated by Colt, cataloged by them, & sold through Colt distributors.)

Some companies have even taken Colt knock-offs such as Filipino Auto Ords & decorated them. Without seeing photos of your gun & the box it came in, I can't even be sure that your gun was actually made by Colt.

If was really made by Colt, I would expect it to sell in the $500-700 range.

Neal
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Yep.....not a Colt (factory) Commemorative.

Might have been commissioned by one of the "Special Edition" or "Commemorative" outfits such as America Remembers, American Historical Foundation, or U.S. Historical Society.
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GA auction site ...
    Colt 1911 Panama Canal Commemorative. #240 of 250. Series 70 with wood presentation box. NIB $1050

GB ... Colt 1911 PANAMA CANAL Commemorative, $1450.00

Apparently, neither sold at the asking price.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    ... sounds like a great shooter to me![:D][:D][:D]
    green.gif