In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ammo ?? Need Expert!

pjpjrpjpjr Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have question regarding the condition of brass that has been fired out of a 9mm. The brass has a bulge about 1/4" above rim. This is new WW 9mm ammo. Do I have a chamber problem? Primers seemd flat and flowed out?? This gun was returned to factory for some rework and they reamed the chamber. Is it oversize now??

Comments

• Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You most likely have a headspace problem.
    Pete
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or maybe a weak slide return spring?
    Will the bulged cases slide back into the chamber?
    Not sure if this is a reasonable theory, but I'm wondering if a weak spring might lead to early slide release and thus bulging as case begins to leave the chamber and pressures are still high.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What kind of gun are you firing it out of?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello IMHO what you have is an unsuported chamber This is a known problum in many guns and can give you grief in the future . By the nature of a semiauto pistol the feed ramp has to be cut in the lower back end of the barrel because of the angle of magazine to bore line some pistol designs take more out of the barrel in this area. You don't get bulged cases in a LUGER but may in a 1911 or Glock. Many "Gunsmiths ??" polish the feed ramp to allow for feeding of large hollow point bullets and take out so much metal that they leave the case unsuported . Ramped barrels in a 1911 seem to help cure this problem.If you section a case the feed ramp of barrel should only go as far as the head and web area never on the wall of the case. I beg to differ with the opinion of a weak spring unless this is a straight blowback like an ASTRA most semi autos in 9MM and larger are locked actions and the pressure should be down before the fired case starts to extract from the chamber .Are these +P+ loads and has Bubba been polishing on the barrel ??
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    perry shooter has it nailed, time for a new barrel. I aquired a bunch of 1911 parts years ago and some nimrod desided to make a .38 secial out of a .38 super barrel by rechambering it. He never remarked the barrel. I thought 'cool' I can just drop this into one of my 1911's and shoot .38 supers. Same unsuported chamber as above only this time the case ruptured and blew both grips off and the mag. out the bottom (my hand was a little worst for the wear as well).