In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45-70 gov

pajtaspajtas Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
if I were to load the 45-70 gov cartridge with smokeless powder, what powder you reccomend and how much for a light load 300 grain cast bullet. barrel length is 32 inches. many thanks joe

Comments

• Options
    scubabobfscubabobf Member Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi;
    You should check the Lyman reference on cast bullets. They have many loads specific to a bullet design. I understand there is a large section in the most recent Lee loading quide. Generally I like to use the bullet manufactures or dies manufactures recommendations for the specific bullet. Be wary of hot loads (jacketed bullets) for modern rifles if your rifle is either a replica or an older rifle. Good luck.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    quote: if I were to load the 45-70 gov cartridge with smokeless powder

If you are loading for a 45-70 built for black powder ... I'd give it some thought. There are problems with old antique guns handling smokles rounds - even handloaded and mild. Do some reloading manual reading first AFTER you've gotten it checked out by a smith.[:D]
    green.gif
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I was shooting some 405 cast bullets yesterday in my 45-70 Marlin 1895. I loaded 14.4 gr of Herco for those. That should me around 1200 fps. Get a Lyman loading manual. It has a lot of loading data for lead loads.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zipperzap
    [brIf you are loading for a 45-70 built for black powder ... I'd give it some thought. There are problems with old antique guns handling smokles rounds - even handloaded and mild. Do some reloading manual reading first AFTER you've gotten it checked out by a smith.[:D]
    green.gif

Hello Zipperzap,

Modern factory loaded 405 grain (and heavier bullet weights) 45-70 ammo is loaded with smokeless powder, and it is perfectly safe in any original blackpowder cartridge gun provided that it is in safe mechanical condition. It is specifically loaded to black powder pressure and velocity so that it is safe in those old guns. The 45-70 is quite easy to load for using either low pressure smokeless or BP. The only 45-70 ammo to avoid in those old guns is the modern factory 300 grain copper jacketed bullet loads... it is specifically marked for use in modern guns.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Hi bert - not to argue with you because i'm no expert but you
    seem to be .... I love the 45-70's and those who praise them.
    I have four (three Marlins and a Harrington & Richardson) and
    am looking for another at the moment.

However, I know a guy at the range who was 'mildloading' for his
    M73 Springfield Carbine and his breach failed. The smith said it
    was not a heavy load that did it. Seems there was a failure of the
    breech after 130+ years of use. I've seen the photos - he swears
    it's true and I believe him! The smith said he'd seen it before.
    What else can I say? if we're wrong, I stand corrected.

2?
  • Options
    joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert. I am amazed at how much misinformation I see about factory smokeless loads designed for black powder guns. I have used them for 45 years with no problems.
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as you use an appropriate load, it is OK to use smokeless. But, use only cast lead bullets. My favorite load is a 405 gr lead over 12 gr #2400 or its eqivalent. It is mildly recoiling and superbly accurate at 100 yds.
    Morty
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman is a good source for mild (18,000) 45-70 loads. I've found Lyman loads in general tend to be on the conservative side for all calibers.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zipperzap
    Hi bert - not to argue with you because i'm no expert but you
    seem to be .... I love the 45-70's and those who praise them.
    I have four (three Marlins and a Harrington & Richardson) and
    am looking for another at the moment.

However, I know a guy at the range who was 'mildloading' for his
    M73 Springfield Carbine and his breach failed. The smith said it
    was not a heavy load that did it. Seems there was a failure of the
    breech after 130+ years of use. I've seen the photos - he swears
    it's true and I believe him! The smith said he'd seen it before.
    What else can I say? if we're wrong, I stand corrected.

2?

That failure was as the gunsmith pointed out, just a simple failure of a 130-year old mechanical device. It was not caused by using mild smokeless loads, but was more than likely simply age related. The other factor, is what type of loads were shot it in before the current owner? As I mentioned before, low pressure 45-70 smokeless loads (the 405 and 500 grain factory loads) are perfectly safe in any gun that is in safe mechanical condition. The 300 grain loads should be avoided in anything but modern rifles.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the breechblock on my trapdoor fall off when I opened it.
    I hadn't even fired it in some time & the hinge simply broke off.
    That was over thirty years ago & I was able to buy a replacement breechblock from Dixie for about five dollars as I recall.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gruntled...PLEASE don't tell me that $5 breech block still had case color on it?!?! I was born in the wrong decade for sure!!!