In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

C & R LICENSE QUESTION

nagant fannagant fan Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
I JUST RECIEVED MY LICENSE AFTER WAITING 5 WEEKS.

I LIVE IN MICHIGAN AND AM CONFUSED ABOUT ONLINE/MAIL ORDER PURCHASES

. DO I NEED TO GET A PURCHASE PERMIT FROM THE LOCAL POLICE EACH TIME I GET A C & R ELGIBLE GUN? IF SO, WHO FILLS OUT THE SECTION FOR THE SELLER.

I'VE READ ALL THE PAPERWORK I GOT AND AM STILL A LITTLE FUZZY.

Comments

• Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you got your C&R lic you sent a copy of the application to the Chief LEO in your area. In most jurisdictions that is all thats required.

Unless there are some "special" requirements where you live, the answer is no. You should be able to receive C&R's at your home with no other licenses.

Call your local agency and ask.
  • nagant fannagant fan Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    THANKS FOR THE INFO. I THOUGHT THAT WAS THE ANSWER BUT I WILL STOP BY THE POLICE JUST TO BE SURE.
    edited November -1
    just as a follow-up:

i found out that i do need a purchase permit and i fill out all 3 sections and give the police one of them.

i bought a nagant revolver from jg sales in arizona and i love it.

i'm glad i got my C&R license.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just so I understand, in addition to sending a copy of your Type 03 (C & R) FFL to J & G Sales and having it on file, each time you make a purchase using your federally issued Type 03 FFL you have to complete additional paperwork for MI? Can MI decide to deny your purchase permit on an individual sale and thereby make the Type 03 FFL not useful for mail order purchases? Is this state "purchase permit" needed for long guns or just handguns?

I'm in CA, so I know states restrict the Type 03 FFL - I can't receive C & R handguns mailed directly, must go through a Type 01 FFL (dealer). How states get to restrict a federally issued license is beyond me.
  • team roper ozzyteam roper ozzy Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have my C&R and live in michigan... C&R you are the FFL and permits are not required from your local pd for purchase or to submit for Registration..your bound book is your registration on a federal level as a ffl c and r holder and not required on a state or local level.....just dont carry a c&r pistol as a ccw unless you have the ccw license and you will be fine..however if you open carry as some are doing up here...no law on books to say you cannot[:D] just expect to be questioned alot
  • firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by team roper ozzy
    i have my C&R and live in michigan... C&R you are the FFL and permits are not required from your local pd for purchase or to submit for Registration..your bound book is your registration on a federal level as a ffl c and r holder and not required on a state or local level.....just dont carry a c&r pistol as a ccw unless you have the ccw license and you will be fine..however if you open carry as some are doing up here...no law on books to say you cannot[:D] just expect to be questioned alot

Ozzy nailed it. You have a FFL, just not a Dealer's FFL. After you sent that copy of your application to the LEO, you fulfilled the requirements. You never need to fill out any forms to purchase any C&R eligible gun; pistol or longarm - does not matter. Carrying, of course, is another thing.

The problem is not Michigan (where I've held a C&R FFL for over fifteen years now), it's the local LEOs. Regardless of their intentions, many of them are just not familiar with Federal regs that relate to a C&R. Our local city police chief had been in office for a long time when I got my first license. When I delivered his copy of the application in person, I had to show him the written instructions saying why I was doing that. He had no idea what was going on. And he asked me what he was supposed to do with his copy! I told him that I figured that it should be filed somewhere. I really don't know what he did with it.

So the problem is not Michigan. It's your local police or sheriff or whomever you have for the head LEO.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a C&R holder, you should have received a copy of ATF P5300.5, State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms. Go to the section for your state, & read the restrictions; note that in Michigan, local government is prohibited from enacting their own firearms/ammunition ordinances.

Read the laws for yourself. Do not ask the local police chief for advice; he probably doesn't know the answers. The only answers that count are THOSE IN WRITING FROM THOSE WITH AUTHORITY. If you just have to ask someone, contact your state attorney general.

Neal
    edited November -1
    yeah the local cops had never even heard of a c&r license before and had to call the atf.

they also commented that i was probably the only one in the county.

i guess it would be hard to keep up with EVERY gun law...
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by firstharmonic
    quote:Originally posted by team roper ozzy

Ozzy nailed it. You have a FFL, just not a Dealer's FFL. After you sent that copy of your application to the LEO, you fulfilled the requirements. You never need to fill out any forms to purchase any C&R eligible gun; pistol or longarm - does not matter. Carrying, of course, is another thing.

The problem is not Michigan (where I've held a C&R FFL for over fifteen years now), it's the local LEOs. Regardless of their intentions, many of them are just not familiar with Federal regs that relate to a C&R. Our local city police chief had been in office for a long time when I got my first license. When I delivered his copy of the application in person, I had to show him the written instructions saying why I was doing that. He had no idea what was going on. And he asked me what he was supposed to do with his copy! I told him that I figured that it should be filed somewhere. I really don't know what he did with it.

So the problem is not Michigan. It's your local police or sheriff or whomever you have for the head LEO.

And I think it's important to note, the local LE has no say in whether or not the FEDERAL Type 03 (C & R) FFL is granted. You are merely informing them, not requesting their permission. I live in San Fran and trust me, if the local LE chief had any say in it none of us would have a Type 03 FFL.
  • fred2fred2 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    and if all else fails and you don't find the answer you need, you can always call your local office of the ATF, they will answer any question you can think up. And I believe being a ffl holder myself{ class 1 dealer license} they gave you the number.no offence to any one responding to his ?,but you can never go wrong getting it from the horses mouth.hope this helps