In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mitchell's Mausers

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have a comment on buying a K98 from the above?
As advertised?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Any good, or junk?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just saw an ad in the December issue of American Rifleman for Mitchell's Mausers - for Mauser 98k Model M48. Anyone know anything about this company? Is the rifle what they say it is?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know nothing about WWII collectibles. The ads Mitchell's Mausers run in the NRA mags and other mags make these Mausers look really good. Maybe to good?? Are the prices they are asking about right or high? If you would like to pick up a good quality WWII mauser with the intention of leaving your son something truely special and collectible where would be the best place to go? (I'm one of the crazy one's. I'm 61, my son is 9. The Lord is good!) I'm not a collector, I'm a shooter. But my father was in the U.S. Army Air Force flying bombing missions over Europe during WWII and it only seems appropriate that my son has a WWII rifle or 2 that will commemrate his and all of our heritage. Any thoughts, opinions or ideas are welcome. Thanks TODD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone here have any experience with them? The rifles on their website look good, maybe too good? are they original? stocks refinished? I'd like to have a very nice K98k and don't mind paying well, but I want matching and as original as possible. I will fire it, but I take great care with my guns, so don't mind shooting a really nice one. I'll appreciate any comments, pro or con regarding Mitchell's guns.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't let Mitchell and their deceptive/phoney adds suck you in.

Contact either of these two dealers they have the real Mccoy, collectors grade WW II Mausers.

http://www.allans-armory.com/aa.php

http://www.empirearms.com/
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with rufe-snow. All of Mitchell's rifles are commercially refinished (strike 1), stamped with import markings (strike 2), & more expensive than anyone else's "shooter grade" rifle (strike 3).

Other than that, they are nice looking rifles.

But, take a look at the auction sales, & you will see they usually resell for less than the seller paid Mitchell.

Neal
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dreher
    I know nothing about WWII collectibles. The ads Mitchell's Mausers run in the NRA mags and other mags make these Mausers look really good. Maybe to good?? Are the prices they are asking about right or high? If you would like to pick up a good quality WWII mauser with the intention of leaving your son something truely special and collectible where would be the best place to go? (I'm one of the crazy one's. I'm 61, my son is 9. The Lord is good!) I'm not a collector, I'm a shooter. But my father was in the U.S. Army Air Force flying bombing missions over Europe during WWII and it only seems appropriate that my son has a WWII rifle or 2 that will commemrate his and all of our heritage. Any thoughts, opinions or ideas are welcome. Thanks TODD

The Mitchell's Mausers are cleaned up, often (mostly) arsenal refinished Mausers, some models in use during WWII and some not - but their sales copy is rather precisely written to obscure that point.

Buying a milsurp can often involve alot of cleaning and I don't mean a little Hoppes and a toothbrush cleaning. Mitchells sells clean or cleaned up refinished guns for probably a bit too much $$$. It's too bad really, if they just advertised that they have very good quality guns (how can you go wrong with a good K98 or M48)people could make an informed decision and they'd have a better rep.

So far as I know, if you buy from them you'll get a clean and serviceable gun right out of the box but it will never be a collectible.
  • Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    if they do not have matching numbers... they will before the sell them to you. KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!
  • Options
    skeens41skeens41 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    priced one at mitchells, and then bought one on gunbroker. happy with purchase
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1

Item in blue above indicates that you have not done any collecting. If you want something to enjoy, and pass down, and the "littlest" nuance of the rifle's markings is of no interest, then get the mitchell. Instant fun right out of the box, very eye pleasing to someone like you (again refering to the item in blue above) and you will still have a WWII mauser. Only not a gun that will pass muster by a collecting purist that will frown on the smallest detail being a little "off".

If the paragraph above sounds reasonable to you, go over to the auction side for a Mitchell. It will be less than what Mitchell is asking. Best, Joe
  • Options
    iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    I can second what rufe-snow said about Empire Arms. They are great folks to deal with and have some nice Russian capture Mausers for sale. Bought one about a year ago for $350. Good folks to deal with. Here is a link to the Mauser page:

http://64.82.96.51/Nazi-98k.htm
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette

Item in blue above indicates that you have not done any collecting. If you want something to enjoy, and pass down, and the "littlest" nuance of the rifle's markings is of no interest, then get the mitchell. Instant fun right out of the box, very eye pleasing to someone like you (again refering to the item in blue above) and you will still have a WWII mauser. Only not a gun that will pass muster by a collecting purist that will frown on the smallest detail being a little "off".

If the paragraph above sounds reasonable to you, go over to the auction side for a Mitchell. It will be less than what Mitchell is asking. Best, Joe

I agree with the above, just keep in mind that some of the Mausers sold by Mitchells are Yugo 48s. Not WWII Mausers, but again Mitchell's adverts finesse their way around that fact. The Yugo 48 is a solid as heck Mauser, but the action length is a bit shorter than standard K98s.