In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

model 12 duck solid rib

2knuckles2knuckles Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
the same guy that has the 42 with a solid rib also has a model 12 duck 32" with a solid rib. He says the shotgun is in "good" shape, not as nice as the 42. He is asking $1000.00 for the duck gun. I cannot find but two solid rib duck guns to compare. Any help with value. I will assume an 80% gun.

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy it. Very few solid rib with 32 inch barrels.
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Tom: Same advice!! BUY IT,BUY IT, BUY IT!!

Regards Dave
  • Options
    2knuckles2knuckles Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to pick up the 42 and look closely at the duck gun. Wanted to buy as a pair. The 42 barrel has been reblued.[:(!] Seller says he did not notice that the proofmark was missing from the barrel!!! I told him that the shotgun was not as he represented it to be. Offered somewhat less than his asking price. The duck gun is a 32" solid rib. It is probably 65 to 75% depending on whose judging the shotgun. He is going to call me later about whether he takes my offer. Here is the dilemma. What would the 42 be worth now. The rest of the shotgun is legit, no reblue or restock. It is very tight. Why was the barrel reblued and not the rest of the gun??? I do not know how much the rib should taper from receiver to muzzle, is it fairly noticeable? I offered 2500 for both guns and I am sure he will come back with a counter offer. Tell me your thoughts Dave...
  • Options
    Old GunnyOld Gunny Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't speak for the solid rib on a M42- as I am not a .410 man-now Model 12's I know- have a 1937 12 ga. Tournament Grade with solid rib 30" full my late Dad left me- and a 1954 field grade 20 ga. 28" solid rib mod. choke my late Grandfather bought me-brand new from Howell and Clement in Ohio on my 14th Birthday (and it will be passed to my Grandson some day-- I have both Madis books and the Riffle book on M12's (and som info on M25 and M42's in there) and the reblue and lack of visible WPS mark on the M42 seems strange- the ribs were stippled and have a slight taper in width-and are crowned off at the muzzle point-they also taper in developed thickness from the breech to the muzzle-follow the general taper of all shotgun barrels- thicker at the breech-tapering towards the muzzle- Reblueing a silver soldered barrel rib- or front sight ramp on a later soldered Win M70 can be risky if the "smith" uses a hot blue dip tank-those barrels were rust blued, so as NOT to disolve the solder bonding the rib to the barrel-Now any M12 3" Magnum with an uncut 32" Full and a solid rib barrel is scarce- as is any M12 with a 32" original barrel-I know of two MI dealers with M42's and M12 3" Magnums (I have visited them within past two weeks) and looked at their guns are prices- if you want more details, ask me and I'll supply them to you- the One M12 3" I saw in Lakeview MI was 99% wood and blue- not a mark- 30" Full with factory solid red pad- the June 1922 pat'd pad with the two plugs to fill the access holes- and if you buy any M12 like a Mag- check to see if it has been fired with steel shot-this one I saw in Lakeview had been in an estate and has not been fired in 30 years-the absence of wear on the bolt side when the action is closed is one clue-also the original factory take up setting and screw with the "witness mark" from the factory inspector is "unbuggered"- also- make sure the M12 3" you buy does NOT have the ill-fated "Dog-leg" style slide op. arm- Winchester tried this 1952-1954 and it was a dud- you have a one shot pump gun, as the action won't open from recoil with that design flaw-
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Go get them before I snipe them from you! Post the pics so we can run them in the ground.[:D]
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Tom: A Md 42 factory rib tapers about .040 from back to front. Approx. .300 to .260.

Email me for more info. winchester12@msn.com

Dave