In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester 94 question

big kingbig king Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hey guy's I'm looking for a back holster for the Winchester 94, I'm not sure exactly what they're called, but I've seen them before, where you have a bandolier across your chest for shells, and on the back there is a holster type thing for the Rifle. I know it's a bit vague but I have no idea what they're actually called, but I was curious if anyone knows what I'm talking about, and where you might be able to find one? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I want to buy a compact model 94 in 30-30, I've looked at a gun website at a Winchester Trapper model (34 1/4 overall length, 16" barrel, $337) and then a Ranger model (33 1/4 overall length, 16" barrel, and $280). My question is, other than $57 and 1" in o/a length,....is there any other difference betwwen these rifles?? The gunsites pics and specs make them seem identicle other than these two differences. Thanks for any help!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is the ring on the side of the reciever that I see on some commemorative and older Winchester lever rifles. It looks like a ring attached to a pin going through the reciever.
    I am buying an "Illinois Sequential Commemorative" 1868-1968 winchester Model 94. There is a screw hole on the left side missing the pin or a screw. I did not see the part on Numrich Gun Parts site.
    What is the ring used for??

Keep the Faith
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was at the local gunshop today, and seen they had a used 94 on the rack, So I asked to see it, it was in awsome shape, and asked if it was a pre 64 or post. He said it was a pre, because it had a metal but plate. Is this true? How can you tell the pre's from the posts? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    just traded a fox bse-c for a 30-30 winchester. would like to know what the D.O M. is. cant find it in the posted list. serial number is 21xxxx6X. the X is odd to me at the end of the serial number as i have not seen this before. the gun is in 90% with a sight hood, and the action is very tight. if anyone could give me a D.O.M. and an idea of its worth i would be thankful.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Looks like it was made in 1955. The prices I've seen have had quite a spread, they went high when Winchester first stopped making them, and have gone down some since.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello big king,

Based on the partial (incomplete) serial number you posted, it could have been manufactured in 1954, 1955, or 1956.

In the future, if you post the complete serial number, you will receive a better answer.

The "X" on the end of the serial number indicates that it is a duplicate serial number. Your gun was the second gun made with the same serial number.

I really need to see pictures of the gun in order to pin down an accurate value estimate. Your 90% may not be 90% to me, or a potential buyer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    cant send pictures... there is a small bit of surface rust on the reciever toward the back, about a quater inche total. and the blue is slightly wore on one side of the muzzle. has one small ding on the butt stock (half a cm)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by big king
    cant send pictures... there is a small bit of surface rust on the reciever toward the back, about a quater inche total. and the blue is slightly wore on one side of the muzzle. has one small ding on the butt stock (half a cm)

Any surface rust on it at all will take it out of the 90% bracket. My guess is that it is worth somewhere in the near vicinity of $700.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert, how did they make more than one rifle with the same serial number? Was it an error in the manufacturing process?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chris8161
    Bert, how did they make more than one rifle with the same serial number? Was it an error in the manufacturing process?

Hello Chris,

Yes, it was an error in the manufacturing process. More specifically, it was a malfunction of the auto-matic indexing stamp. The serial number stamp machine at the time the Model 94 in question was made, was made to mechanically increment the serial number digits immediately after each strike. Occasionally, it malfunctioned, and when it did, more than one gun was stamped with the same serial number. When discovered, an extra "X" was added to the serial number to indicate it being a duplicate.

Now, back before WW II, the indexing stamps were manually manipulated (by human hand), and duplicate serial numbers were more common than you would think. In my continuing research of the Winchester Model 1885 Single Shot, I have found more than two-dozen duplicate serial numbers, mostly in the later production period (1895 - 1915).
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,713 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    quote:Originally posted by Chris8161

Hello Chris,

Yes, it was an error in the manufacturing process. More specifically, it was a malfunction of the auto-matic indexing stamp. The serial number stamp machine at the time the Model 94 in question was made, was made to mechanically increment the serial number digits immediately after each strike. Occasionally, it malfunctioned, and when it did, more than one gun was stamped with the same serial number. When discovered, an extra "X" was added to the serial number to indicate it being a duplicate.

Now, back before WW II, the indexing stamps were manually manipulated (by human hand), and duplicate serial numbers were more common than you would think. In my continuing research of the Winchester Model 1885 Single Shot, I have found more than two-dozen duplicate serial numbers, mostly in the later production period (1895 - 1915).

Bert - Do those 1885's also have an "x" or are the numbers exact duplicates?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Bert - Do those 1885's also have an "x" or are the numbers exact duplicates?

No, they do not. Winchester did not use the "X" on the end of the serial number until circa WW II. The duplicate guns made prior to WW II have just a regular looking serial number on them.