In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

32-20 shooter

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
wanting to buy a 32-20 shooter. see several marlin 1894's for sale on the auction. also have seen several model 53 brownings but they appear to be a bit pricey. does anyone have any feedback on these and are either drilled for a scope? thank you.

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Marlin being side ejecting is a better candidate for scope mounting even if you have to drill and tap for a mount.
  • Options
    breakerdanbreakerdan Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of the 1894CL Marlins in 32-20. My neighbor has the exact same model. I shoot open sighted and he has a scope. The 1894CL "Classic," comes drilled for a scope and like v35 said, it is
    side eject making scoping it easier. As far as I know, the Browning 53 was not drilled for a scope and with the top eject, you would have to mount the scope on the side. I highly recommend the Marlin, even though most I have seen need an action job, and they are extremely accurate. I recently heard a rumor that Marlin discontinued the classic 1894 again, so the price is bound to go up.
  • Options
    toolsforfoolstoolsforfools Member Posts: 1,285 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you buy a classic that is not drilled learn to shoot with open sights.32-20 is not knock downer round.You should be able to see with open sights anything worth shooting.It would be a shame to take a classic and drill it for sights.Ask bert
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    About the best choice you will have is the Marlin 1894, either in the Classic, or the cowboy configuration. That Browning is nothing but a Winchester copy of the same model, which was the same action as the Winchester 1892. There are some of all the above on the auction side. Keeping in mind of course that the Marlin is the best canadate for mounting a scope.

Best.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks guys. i have two 1892's but don't wish to shoot them anymore. my eyes aren't so good anymore so i like to use a scope on anything i can. will look to purchase a marlin. thanks again