In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Silly Question

boondock523boondock523 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hi, I am a wife of a gun man... I wanted to get him one of those "fund jars" ... but, one that had "gun fund" on the front... has anyone ever seen one of these types of jars?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Is there anyone out there that makes a M-14 or M-1A clone. I would like to add one to my collection but the Springfields are a bit out of my price range. Can anyone help?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, I just got done watching one of my favorite movies
    "Quigley Down Under." When Quigley tells Marston about the weapon he refers to a "Double Set Trigger" is that hollywood B.S. or is there really such an animal? And if the Double Set Trigger is a real thing, what is it for?
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Hawken with Double set triggers. You press the front trigger to set the rear trigger which has very light pull. I have also heard of single set triggers where you push the trigger forward to set it which is then armed for a very light pull.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Double set triggers are real Many Flint lock and newer target and hunting guns used them. There was also single set triggers Long story short you could use one trigger usually the rear one to set the front one the front one could be pulled with a Hard pull or if set with the rear trigger first then the front trigger would be a very light "HAIR" trigger. A single set trigger most times need the shooter to push the trigger forward to set it for the very light pull. Even modern guns can have SET TRIGGERS. of both types.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many "CZ"'s have set triggers.
  • Options
    oldgunmanoldgunman Member Posts: 1,779 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe my muzzleloader also has double set triggers.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by boondock523
    Ok, I just got done watching one of my favorite movies
    "Quigley Down Under." When Quigley tells Marston about the weapon he refers to a "Double Set Trigger" is that hollywood B.S. or is there really such an animal? And if the Double Set Trigger is a real thing, what is it for?

Nope, not hollywood B.S., and yes, it is the real thing. A set trigger (whether single-set or double-set) is used to adjust and set a trigger for a lighter than normal pull pressure. The Winchester double-set trigger was referred to as a "Schuetzen double-set", and it looks like this...

Schuetzen81654.jpeg

The rear trigger is only used to set the front trigger, and the small screw located between the triggers is used to set the sear release pressure. I own two Model 1885 high-walls with this type trigger. I have one of them set at a 12 oz. pull.
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a CZ Model 527 (22 Hornet) with a single set trigger. Push it forward to set. Can be adjusted for lightness.
    Pete
  • Options
    skychaser53skychaser53 Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Thompson muzzel loader had the double set trigger and it was a hair trigger once set. nice shooter, paper plate at a hundred yrds every time.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, that is the animal Quigley had on on his Sharps, a double set trigger. I have a replica of that in 45-70 Gov't. I might not be as good as Quigley, but can take out a gallon milk jug at 400 yards with it.

A lot of rifles, especially in todays world of litigation, have set triggers, of either double, or single type. That way it is availble, but does not have to be utilized. There is even one made for the AR-15, where as the safety is pushed in the opposing direction of what it goes to take it off, then it is moved to the off posistion. The purpose of the set trigger as stated in previous post is to aid in more accurate shooting in the hands of an EXPERIENCED or ACCOMPLISHED marksman.

Bert H,

That is one sweet looking 1885. I am presuming that it is one of yours? If so, what might the chambering be? Now I shall go and remove these tears.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently had two wheellock rifles from the 1600s both with double set triggers. Every wheel lock rifle I have seen (many) had DSTs.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Bert H,

That is one sweet looking 1885. I am presuming that it is one of yours? If so, what might the chambering be? Now I shall go and remove these tears.

Yes it is one SWEET rifle, but no and unfortunately, it is not one of mine[:(]. I have pictures of this rifle for use in the reference book that I am writing about the Model 1885.

It is a standard production (second model) Schuetzen Rifle, serial number 81654 (shipped 7/17/1899), 38-55 caliber, but with a special order 34-inch barrel (versus the standard 30-inch).

The Schuetzen variation of the Model 1885 was Winchester's high-dollar rifle, and it came standard with 3X deluxe walnut, H-pattern checkering, a Dutch pattern cheek piece stock, double-set triggers, windgauge globe front sight, mid-ranger vernier tang sight, a Helm pattern butt plate, and either a tuning fork style palm rest, or the door-knob style palm rest (as on the rifle in the picture).

At the time when this rifle was built, Winchester was selling their standard Plain Sporting Rifle for $14.50, while the Schuetzen Rifle was priced at $63.00! Today, this rifle is worth an easy $18K [:0]!!

edit: If you would like to see pictures of some of my personal Model 1885 collection, go to this link - http://www.winchestercollector.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=f11a84c3fd69eedcfa502f3e82733f77