In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

value of WWII gun

Sheas2000Sheas2000 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have my late grandfather's handgun which according to the Certificate from the U.S. Forces European Theater Headquarters, it is a "FEMARU-FEGYVER-ES GEPGYAR RT 37 M - 172617 (Hungarian Pistol) The Certificate certifies that my grandfather captured enemy equipment and was officially authorized by the Theater Commander to retain as his personal property said gun under the provisions of Sec VI, Cir 155, WD, 28 May 1945....I have the gun and the holster, and the Certificate is dated November 7, 1945, signed by a David E.
Eldredge, 1st Lt., 989th FA Bn, Commanding.

The gun and holster are in good condition, he kept it wrapped
in a soft blanket in his drawer all these years.

I need to sell it to pay bills (unfortunately) and I have no idea how much to list this at or what it would be worth.???

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amy..... Welcome to the GB forums. Hungarian pistols dont command a lot of money.

I would suggest you borrow some money to pay the bills. I think you would later regret selling it. It is part of your family history.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    'Laredo Lefty' has made the correct Call....Wrap it back Up and bury it in a Safe place,...A Kid and Burgler Proof place known only to You..a place that You, and You alone can access in an emergeny...It Might save you from Harm someday...Best.....
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Model 37, was a .380 caliber pistol. It was used by the Hungarian military forces during W W II. Current value would depend on factory originality and cosmetic condition. It would be best if you could post quality photos of the pistol and holster. This would enable our folks to give you an accurate appraisal of it's current fair market value.

That said, W W II military pistols with "bring back" papers are avidly sought by military handgun collectors, as long as they are factory original, and in at least Very Good condition.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    The Model 37, was a .380 caliber pistol. It was used by the Hungarian military forces during W W II. Current value would depend on factory originality and cosmetic condition. It would be best if you could post quality photos of the pistol and holster. This would enable our folks to give you an accurate appraisal of it's current fair market value.

That said, W W II military pistols with "bring back" papers are avidly sought by military handgun collectors, as long as they are factory original, and in at least Very Good condition.

Ditto. The capture/bringback documents inhance the value. Make certain you include that you have these when/wherever you list it.
    I would also suggest that you post your question on "Gunboards.com". A website is primarly dedicated to military arms collectors. Youll likely have several offers to buy.
  • Options
    Sheas2000Sheas2000 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your kind advice.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And, keep the gun with the holster, not in the holster.

Holsters tend to ruin the finish of guns due to the tanning oils, as well as rubbing off the finish.

Neal
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    with the holster and papers,,,WAG----$800-or +...some may disagree.nambu
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sheas2000
    Thank you all for your kind advice.

does it look like this ??
    From37M.jpg