In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1892 SRC w/shotgun butt

sentinel89sentinel89 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
Good morning,

I have acquired a Winchester 1892 carbine in 38/40 that's in about 70% condition or so. I'm no Winchester expert, but the carbine appears to be in original condition. It is equipped with a shotgun butt and unfortunately because of the serial number range (1911 mfg date) I cannot get it lettered from Cody due to the fire at the museum. Although the left side receiver screws show evidence of turning, the buttstock screws appear to have never been touched, and the wood to metal fit is tight with no chips or gaps. I'm not interested in selling it, but I'm trying to find out how this uncommon butt affects the value of the carbine for insurance reasons. Any help or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day.

Comments

• Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello and welcome to the forum. There were indeed Saddle Ring Carbines that were originally built from the factory with Shotgun Butts. You've already stated that wood to metal fit appears to be correct, so another thing to look for would be a wood match in grain and color between the forearm and buttstock.

I've owned two Model 1892 SRC's with factory original Shotgun Butts, both of which were in the 500,000 serial number range. Since this configuration is non-standard and would be a special order feature it can influence value. Back when I was a more active collector it would slightly increase the value, but Bert is a more current Winchester collector and will be able to provide a better perspective on how this special order feature influences today's values.

If you would like a more in-depth assessment and estimate of originality and value of your gun, if you will post high resolution detailed photos of your Model 92 on this forum we might be able to provide more information. You can find instructions for posting photos at the top of this forum in the thread titled "Posting Photographs" or follow this link:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello and welcome to the Experts Forum.

First, lets clarify a few points.

1. The DOM is most likely a few years later than 1911 (Madis' published information is not accurate for the vast majority of the Winchester Models he listed).

2. The fire that resulted in the loss of records did not occur at the Musuem. Instead, it was at Winchester's New Haven, Conn factory circa 1960.

OK, on to your question. A shotgun butt on a Model 1892/92 SRC is not exactly "uncommon", and while it was a special order option, it does not add much of a premium to the value of the gun (less than 10%).

In order to give you a reasonably accurate value estimate, I really need to see several clear photos of it. You can either post them here, or send them to me at Win1885@msn.com
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We would like to see the pics !
    PLease post a few here.
    Thanks [:)]
    Abort Cuomo