In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Steel cases in an AR

Remington1981Remington1981 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
There seems to mixed feeling about this. Will this hurt the action?

Comments

• Options
    vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Remington1981
    There seems to mixed feeling about this. Will this hurt the action?

There are mixed feelings about this.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    There might be some extraction problems. The steel cases don't seem to shrink back like brass does. All you can do is try them in your AR.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Works good in mine, and if an upper lasts 3000 rounds the price difference of the ammo will buy a new one.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Just got the new Gun tests. In it they tested 3 223's. The AR had a piece of brass stick in the chamber. They didn't say which of the 3 brands of ammo it happened with. One was Wolf, and my money is on that steel cased JUNK [xx(][xx(]
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steel cases can also cause problems with the receiver. On older AR's that have a "bead" of aluminum for a brass deflector for left handed shooters, steel cases damage the "bead". There is no problem on the newer design big bump of aluminum type.
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as I have keep the chamber CLEAN & DRY, I have not had any problems with steel cases. I have had several stuck cases though caused by dirty chambers and are a booger to get out if the chamber is hot. I try to stay away from them, but when I get together with my buddies and have a little shootfest, it is definately more economical! Just remember,CLEAN and DRY!

But even if you keep it clean and dry, and don't have any sticking problems, it will over time, wear the chamber.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Keep your gun clean and they will not do any more damage. Only thing I have seen possibly wear quicker is my extractor, a 3-5 dollar part. Now all my guns have a chromed chamber, which is harder than non chromed ones. I have heard of some possible marring on non chromed barrels, but have not seen it on my buddy's AR.

I have shot THOUSANDS of rounds of steel cased ammo through mine.