In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.257 Roberts question... fldave

sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
fldave,

I'm glad you asked the question you did. Also glad to see it 'sold out' in one day. (Posts are locked here after ten. Your question went in two days. Meaning there are a lot of .257 Roberts fanciers here.)

It being my first favorite cartridge, I thought I should give some insight as well. I too have a Ruger M77(Ultralight) in .257R(edit: 20" barrel). I love it but I have found it does not give the velocities I like from the cartridge. So, I built a Mauser custom with a 25" barrel. Now I get the velocities I like from it. Granted it's heavier. What I've found with my ultralight is that it still packs plenty of punch in a very light package. I've killed nine deer, one antelope and one elk with it. Recoil is minimal. Although, many would disagree with using the .257 as an elk rifle, I think it is adequate in that arena, provided the shots taken are well within the shooters ability. In it's heyday, the '30's, it was touted as one of the best all-around rifles. Although, I wouldn't any dangerous animals with one.

As far as comparing it to the 7mm-08 I will say it kicks less. Either would be a great cartridge for a new shooter. The 7mm-08 would be the better long range package(if set up right). New shooters don't need to worry about that yet. Good to keep in mind though.

My history goes back with the .257 with my dad, who sold his to buy a .243. It was the biggest mistake he ever made, as far as rifles go, he thought. His uncles and some cousins all owned .257's and when loaded properly(the family recipe is 41 gr. of IMR 4895 behind an 85/87 gr. bullet) they would do all the damage necessary to a big deer to bring it down. My own recipe was a 87 gr. for deer but I used a 100 gr. for my antelope. I also used the same 100 gr. bullet to bring down the elk. Incidentally, we all reload. Factory ammunition will be prevalent in the major manufacturers, Remington, Winchester and Federal. But, Hornady offers the best load in it's "Light Mag" line-up. It may not be super accurate as far as target accuracy goes, but it is plenty accurate for hunting.

My bottom line: HANG ON TO THE ROBERTS!! If you want to step up to long range shooting or hunting. The 7mm-08, as well as others, is a viable option to step up into.

Comments

• Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In addition to sandwarrior's comments, Eleanor O'Conner used the 257 Roberts to kill huge amounts of game at the same time her famous gunwriter husband was using a 270 Win.
  • Options
    dgacdgac Member Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    read jack's books and he loved that 270. I dont think he would have traded it for anything. His wife also used a 7x57 for lot of their hunts as far as I took from the books.

dgac