In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

742 disassembly question

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
Can someone tell me where I can come up with a set of instructions for disassembly of a 742 auto? I really don't want to teat into something without a reference. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    How far apart do you want to disasseble it? For normal cleaning make sure gun is unloaded, cocked, and safty is on. Then drift out the trigger guard pins. Carefully lift out the trigger assembly. Remove forearm. Unless you know what you are doing you should not attempt to disassembly any farther.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello hadjii,

I highly suggest that you use the Search function (top right corner of the page). Simply type 742 in the "Search For" box, and then select "Ask the Experts" in the Search Forum box. The total number of post might surprise you.

p.s. how is Bandit doing these days?
  • Options
    wulfmanwulfman Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't attempt w/o detailed directions!! Info is in the Gun Digest Book Of Firearms Assembly/ Disassembly. Part 4 centerfire rifles. I had to make a barrel nut wrench for my 740. You will need a large vise to remove barrel- thats the only way to get it apart. Get the book!!! I found it at library. Good luck w/ it.
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Whats the large vise for?? I've disassembled well over 1000 742s and have never used a vise. A proper sized punch works as well or better than a barrel nut wrench for the 740.
  • Options
    MadmanMadman Member Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gotta agree with 41nut, have had the same experience over the years. Surprising how dirty they can get inside. The NRA put out manuals years back with step by step tear downs with exploded diagrams. Mine are all dogeared and covered with No.9 smudges. Go to the website and look for the references

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some folks on gunhaterbay ebay have takedown guide reprints for about $10.
  • Options
    hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies. I guess all I want to do is a really good clean job. I have heard so many horror stories about how these rifles gall the rails and eat themselves up, and in my most unprofessional opinion, I have to believe that most of this is caused by a dirty, grungy rifle that basically is full of grit acting like sandpaper and just grinding away at itself, soI'm thinking, if I keep this thing really clean, it should give me plenty of service. Thanks again.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "really good clean job"... to do a 'good' cleaning you have to remove the barrel. The 'bolt lactch' and associated parts are in the top of the bolt and the only way to get at the in the barrel removal. I suggest you go see your gunsmith if you've never done this.