In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Polishing

ladyrt007ladyrt007 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
Can "very-very" minor scratches be hand polished out of a Nickel finished pistol, if so any good products recommended ? Its a factory Nickeled Colt, not polished stainless. Thanks for any info [;)]

Comments

• ladyrt007ladyrt007 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to hear what you all have done to polish chrome (yes chrome) and stainless. Minor scratches on my harley pipes and a pistol made out of stainless.....[:)]
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may want to try jewelers rouge and a polishing wheel. You can get these at Home Depot.
  • Reel AdventuresReel Adventures Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chrome is really hard, thats why they chrome plate piston rings, so they last the life of the engine. Jewelers rouge (red) may not work by itself, after the red, finish up with white diamond polishing compound, is the hardest polishing compound. I'd go to a jeweler supply for these like Rio Grande Supply <www.riogrande.com>. But don't mix abrasives on the same wheel. You'll need one cloth wheel for each color abrasive. Also be careful you don't buff through the chrome. It usually has softer nickel, and copper plated under it.

For best results, have a plater reverse plate the copper, nickel, chrome to remove it, polish out the part, and re-plate it. In the days of chrome bumpers on cars, that what we old timers did.
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Mother's and a sanding drum wrapped in flannel (with no paper on drum) in a drill for the stainless pipes on my Triumph.
    Flitz and a piece of scrap rough out leather works better on chrome.
    It takes a lot of time, wintertime.