In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Refurb Metal of Russian Capture Mauser

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I've got a Russian Capture / Refurb 98 Mauser that is 'X'ed , peened, etc+ with no markings worth preserving. It's proven to be a decent shooter and I want to "Mitchell-ize it" as best I can myself, without involving a pro for blue.

Has anyone found a particular goop that will help remove the russian metal finish...before taking it to the rouge wheel ?

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MOST bluing can be moved by phosphoric acid. Found in Naval Jelly. Corrosive, use gloves and eye protection, neutralize when done. Brownells also sells a bluing remover.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    naval jelly (no, not navel jelly, thats gross) and 000 steel wool did a great job removing bluing from a shotgun I wanted to do in BBQ black spray paint (hi temp, looks parkerized)
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Naval Jelly works well, so does birchwood caseys blue remover.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are going to polish it, there is no need to remove the bluing. It will polish away immediately.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look at the rifles on this dealers web page:

http://64.82.96.51:80/Nazi-98k.htm

He has a photo of a RC Mauser that was refinished by a customer, & it looks pretty good to me. Compare the refinished wood to the original dark wood on the rifles in the shipping case. It doesn't look to me like he refinished the metal, but it's a really nice looking rifle now.

Neal
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I forgot about Naval Jelly, I suppose because I've never used it to de-blue before.
    I think I will use that to get into the corners and crevices that you can't get to fully with rouge wheels.

Though Bill's comment is applicable, I'm afraid that somewhere will look OK to me (polish wise), but it won't take the re-blue because of some remnant of the Russian finish or reaction.

I don't know if it will look as 'nice' as the one in the link from nmyers....IF I could get the metal to look that good would be a 300% improvement. I do think I'll take the stock parts to a commercial stripper and have him put it in with his next 'dip'.

I can see now that some 'before' pictures are a good idea.

As always, thanks for the replies.
  • Options
    jimthompson502002jimthompson502002 Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd really suggest reading some of the books about the Mauser
    before proceeding blind. These stocks were high gloss when issued.
    And a reblue is expensive, and may not look much like the satin
    gloss military German finish. Renumbering may involve welding and
    re-engraving. The literature is the key, otherwise, you're
    headed for trouble.