In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rem 1100 20Ga LW 3" Mag shotgun

Rocky57Rocky57 Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I've been told by some folks that a Remington 1100 20ga LW 3 inch Magnum Shotgun which has a Magnum barrel can NOT shoot 2-3/4 inch shell, but only shot 3 inch shells. With this said I have not attempted to fire 2-3/4 inch shells in fear of damaging the shotgun. So I figured I would ask for advise from those who know. Is this true or are they just pulling my leg. If it is true why can't 2-3/4 shells be fired from the gun ?? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Rocky: Well magnum guns have one gas port. 2 3/4in guns have 2 gas ports.

First you will not "damage" your gun by shooting 2 3/4in. shells. The problem lies with not ejecting the empty, not enough "gas" to cycle the gun.

I had a first generation 20ga. Mag. it would cycle the standard 1 oz lead loads, the 1 1/8th oz loads in 2 3/4. It would not cycle dove and quail loads. Just meant I shot one shell at a time and cycled by hand.

Regards Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dave,

Thanks a bunch for the detailed reply Rocky
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good high brass 2&3/4 inch shells may work. Depends on the brand.You can also open the port a bit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Duckhunter Thanks a bunch for the information Rocky