In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone purchased from Ballard Rifles?

Romulus90Romulus90 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
Howdy

I would really like to buy a 1885 style rifle in 223 caliber. I looked at a Winchester model in my local Cabelas store, but the fit and finish of it wasn't all that great.

I'm considering ordering a rifle from Ballard rifles ( www.ballardrifles.com ) However, I would like to hear some good feedback from someone before I do so.

If you've bought from them, did they deliver the rifle in the 4-6 months that their webpage states? Was the fit and finish what you expected? Are you happy overall with the company, rifle, and how it shoots?

I've read a few terrible stories about Shiloh Rifles ( www.shilohrifle.com ) and want to make sure this company is better

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I am not 100% sure, I am fairly certain that the Ballard Rifle & Cartridge Company does not make their Model 1885 rifles in rimless cartridge. The basic design of the action and extractor system requires a rimmed cartridge.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert,

From my searches, it seems you know a thing or two about these (1885) rifles [:)]

In case I decide on another cartridge, can you give any feedback on them as a company?

My main concern is paying someone a ton of money, only to see the "completion" date get pushed back... and back... and back [:(]

If you can recommend any other companies or rifles to look at, I'm all ears.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, you could say that I am familar with the Model 1885[:0][:D].

I was familar with them when they were still located in Cody, WY. However, when they moved back east, they left behind most of their former employees. So, I do not know anything about the current incarnation of the company.

That said, and for what they are asking for their rifles, I would highly encourage you to invest your money on an original Winchester Model 1885. In both the short term and the long haul, you will be much better off in the financial department, AND, you will end up with a much finer shooting iron[^]
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I've owned a Ballard in 45-110 for 19 years, it is the best shooting iron sighted rifle I have ever shot. Fit and finish is as good as it was 100 years ago, done with pride in workmanship. I can't tell you about the new guns.
    W.D.
  • Options
    cody45cody45 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Bert H. Invest in an original 1885 and you wont be sorry. If you want something along the lines of a 223 why not buy or build a 219 Donaldson Wasp? I will be listing such a thing on a highwall action on GB in the near future, a fine classic varminiter for a very reasonable price. If you dont handload you should stick to factory chamberings however.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cody,

would you please send me pictures of it? I can't seem to find any on the net.

Thanks!

Josh
  • Options
    shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last summer I went to the Ballard shop in Cody. I was there the week after the big gun show. I did a plant tour and all the people there were very nice. Some were building rifles in different stages while others were restoring old guns that people had sent in.
    First of all, they had about 10 guns on dislay out in the front. All were very nicely done. There are many otions so I would only have one built if I was able to go to the plant see all the options and pick what I wanted.
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When has there been an issue with Shiloh's quality? I always thought they were very near the top of the food chain. Beach
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beachmaster73
    When has there been an issue with Shiloh's quality? I always thought they were very near the top of the food chain. Beach

Hello Beach,

Shiloh is not related to the Ballard Rifle company.