In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

scope mount question

NOVA12NOVA12 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have had problems in the past with mounts scratching scopes, which I dont like at all. Is there anyway or a particular brand that helps prevent this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Brent

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Can someone tell me by the photos what this mount is used for? I got it with a bunch of other mounts. It is steel and looks to some sort of dovetail adapter. Thanks for any help

imgSANY0018.jpg
    imgSANY0019.jpgimgSANY0020.jpg
    imgSANY0021.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Model 88 winchester with standard mounts, and would like to put on a scope with 50mm lens. Will I need to change the mounts or rings, or will the standard ones work? Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just bought a new model 700 in 270. I've used Leupold bases and rings on a couple guns but I've been looking at the Talley one-piece base and rings. What do you think? They look like a great mounting system.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NOVA12,

The Talley products are well known throughout the firearms industry as being well made and intelligently designed. Many folks use the two-piece mounts on their target and bench rifles. I have used several sets myself including the alloy style when weight has become an issue.

http://www.talleyrings.com/

You can't go wrong, be confident.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info nononsense! Seems like folks on this site don't like sharing with newcomers.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NOVA12,

Just the opposite! Gunbroker Forums are well known for being friendly and open with information for anyone, new or established. It's more likely that it's Saturday afternoon and folks are spending time with their families or on their honey-do lists, chores and maybe trying to work in a Gunshow or some shooting.

Not everyone spends all day here, either. Most weekends, I'm here intermittently while I try to get some more work done. Some days I'm not here at all except for a few minutes late at night.

Let us know if we can help with any other questions!

Best.
  • Options
    336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the best, made just a few miles away here in SC in good ole USA. They're just down to earth good ole boys, even visited their facility. They have state of the art tooling and produce a quality product. Expensive though. Welcome!!
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard a lot of good from people on Talley mounting systems! And personally I prefer one-piece systems or atleast one-piece bases when possible because,IMHO, the fewer points of mating surfaces mean the less chance for misalignment.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys, I think I'm going with the Talley bases!!
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have quite a few sets of Talley. They are superb, light weight, strong mounting systems.
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try DEDNUTZ. Made out of 2075 (i believe) aluminum along the same lines as the Talley but cheaper. Some of the SF's are using them on the rifles.

Lance