In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SBR creation

bthompsonbthompson Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
Earlier I posted a question about a Coharie arms MP5 PDW clone. After finding out that my local gun dealer was over priced about $1400 I found one without a folding stock on gunbroker. I also found a folding stock. I am legally able to own SBR weapons in my state, C&R FFL. I was wondering what do I need to do paper work wise to attach the stock? I'm guessing that it would be different paper work then if I just bought a SBR correct?
Thanks
`bthompson

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not familiar with that particular model, but it sounds like you have bought a pistol. My understanding is that only a rifle can be converted to a SBR.

You are going to have to talk to these folks, sooner or later:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/nfa/index.htm

So, you might want to make it SOONER.

Neal
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Fill out paperwork and apply for the "making". Once you have the "making" papers, make it. Don't have the parts, etc. until you have the papers.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    I'm not familiar with that particular model, but it sounds like you have bought a pistol. My understanding is that only a rifle can be converted to a SBR.

Incorrect
    You will have to make your pistol an SBR to attach a stock or a vertical foregrip. You will have to engrave it with your name and location along with the BATFE form 1.

CP
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cpermd
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers

Incorrect
    You will have to make your pistol an SBR to attach a stock or a vertical foregrip. You will have to engrave it with your name and location along with the BATFE form 1.

CP

To put only a VFG on a pistol makes it an AOW not a SBR.

As the others have said if it is legal in your state all you have to do is buy the pistol (in this case). Fill out ATF Form 1 (making) and send it with a $200 check to the ATF. Wait for the approval to come back then engrave you gun and add the stock.

Slightly time consuming but not very hard to do.