In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Belgian? 6 shot folding trigger revolver

robert574robert574 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I've had this pistol for a couple of years and it's quite old. It appears to be hand made and I was told it was Belgian. It came with a matching holster that fits it well with a snap over flap.

The caliber is odd however. The cylinder has no internal ridge for the casing and the bore appears to have some taper to it. The cylinder measures approx .330" dia at the case head and approx .312" at the bullet end. It is 6 round and the cylinder is 1.025" long (where the case is). The barrel is appox 2" long and it has a folding trigger. It is sort of a small palm pistol.

It is double action only and centerfire. It is loaded from a side port on the right. It has sort of a "birds head" sloped wood grip.

I took out the cylinder and tryed a 32 S&W and 32 ACP for fit. The bullet seems right but the casing is too large to drop in.

It is coverd with proof marks and no numbers other than "55" on all matching parts. There is an "R" on the right side of the frame near the barrel with a small crown above it and a "G" under that with a small star above it.

Similar markings on the cylinder, a "C" with a small crown, "G" with a small star, and someting that is the shape of a pineapple with a crown on top then an "E" and an "LG" under it inside the shape.

Any thoughts what it is or what caliber?

Thanks, Bob (I'd like to post a picture, but I can't find my camaera!#$) (sorry for the language)

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    E over LG within an Oval tells us its Belguim Made....But a photo is needed for further Comment...
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cartridge dimensions you give seem to point toward the .320 Revolver cartridge. This was a common loading used in Europe and England, used in inexpensive personal protection revolvers.

The revolver you describe is Belgian. The same pattern was commonly made by many different manufacturers. Dating most likely between 1880 & 1910.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is the case on cartrige tapered? I wonder if there are some dimensions on it somewhere.....

It is very similar to this revolver (go to listing 1311)

http://81.21.79.188:81/carbines/pistols.htm

The ejector is identical also. You pull out the ejector rod from the center of the cylinder, swing it to the side to manually eject each case and then swing it back and push it in. Mine doesn't have the slight bump at the top of the grip (near back of hammer) otherwise is almost identical.

Mine is engraved and has a safety on the left side.

This is cool. I never looked at it closely and always thought it was one of those old "Velo Dogs". Still just and old pistol, but I somehow like it better now.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a photo off the net, of a Belgian revolver similar to yours.

Bulldog.JPG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's pretty close to the one I have other than mine has some engraving. Looks like the 320 round is obsolete and I couldn't find any case dimensions. I bought it for $75 back in 2005.

Sometimes I wonder if I should attend some kind of therapy for buying this stuff, or if buying this stuff is therapy for everything else I have to put up with...
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Odds are .320 European Revolver cartridge. The .32 Short Colt is a real close match. ELG IS the Beglian proof mark.