In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stack-On Gun Cabinet Part II

JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
In reference to this prior thread

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=538264

I believe that the C&P below is the Florida Law you are trying to comply with. If so, note that the first sentence says a loaded firearm.

Therefore, if the firearms are not loaded it would appear that locking them in a safe/cabinet is not necessary. Now I'm not advocating leaving unloaded guns carelessly lying around, but I would GUESS that keeping unloaded guns in a locked bedroom would comply with the law below.

If this is not the law you need to comply with, ask CPS exactly which law it is and post it here on the forum.

Johnny

http://archive.flsenate.gov/statutes

790.174?_?Safe storage of firearms required.?_"
(1)?_?A person who stores or leaves, on a premise under his or her control, a loaded firearm, as defined in s. 790.001, and who knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to the firearm without the lawful permission of the minor?_Ts parent or the person having charge of the minor, or without the supervision required by law, shall keep the firearm in a securely locked box or container or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure or shall secure it with a trigger lock, except when the person is carrying the firearm on his or her body or within such close proximity thereto that he or she can retrieve and use it as easily and quickly as if he or she carried it on his or her body.
(2)?_?It is a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, if a person violates subsection (1) by failing to store or leave a firearm in the required manner and as a result thereof a minor gains access to the firearm, without the lawful permission of the minor?_Ts parent or the person having charge of the minor, and possesses or exhibits it, without the supervision required by law:
(a)?_?In a public place; or
(b)?_?In a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner in violation of s. 790.10.

This subsection does not apply if the minor obtains the firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person.

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got one of the stack-on things, and for what it is. . .an inxpensive metal cabinet to keep your guns out of the hands of honest people who shouldn't be handling them (eg house-guests and/or kids), its perfect.

You wouldn't want this to prevent true thieves, who could probably pop it right open with a crowbar, or even remove the entire cabinet and carry it off, but as opposed to keeping a whole bunch of guns loose in your closet, or outfitting all of them with annoying trigger locks this is WAY better, and IMO a total no-brainer.

Safe, obviously, is better as protection against actual theft or fire, but it also costs a heck of a lot more, is much bulkier and the absolute weight can make it prohibitive in certain places depending on floor strength, etc.

As to whether or not the "Stack on" satisfies "safe storage" laws, I don't know, but it certainly might. It would in MA, where guns just need to be kept under lock and key. It doesn't matter if its in a vault, with a trigger-lock, in a locked gun case, or in a locked cabinet; all are fine.
  • Options
    dipitsdipits Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would the cabel locks solve your problem? Sherif used to pass them free in a lot places.
  • Options
    fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JohnnyBGood
    In reference to this prior thread

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=538264

I believe that the C&P below is the Florida Law you are trying to comply with. If so, note that the first sentence says a loaded firearm.

Therefore, if the firearms are not loaded it would appear that locking them in a safe/cabinet is not necessary. Now I'm not advocating leaving unloaded guns carelessly lying around, but I would GUESS that keeping unloaded guns in a locked bedroom would comply with the law below.

If this is not the law you need to comply with, ask CPS exactly which law it is and post it here on the forum.

Johnny

http://archive.flsenate.gov/statutes

790.174?_?Safe storage of firearms required.?_"
    (1)?_?A person who stores or leaves, on a premise under his or her control, a loaded firearm, as defined in s. 790.001, and who knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to the firearm without the lawful permission of the minor?_Ts parent or the person having charge of the minor, or without the supervision required by law, shall keep the firearm in a securely locked box or container or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure or shall secure it with a trigger lock, except when the person is carrying the firearm on his or her body or within such close proximity thereto that he or she can retrieve and use it as easily and quickly as if he or she carried it on his or her body.
    (2)?_?It is a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, if a person violates subsection (1) by failing to store or leave a firearm in the required manner and as a result thereof a minor gains access to the firearm, without the lawful permission of the minor?_Ts parent or the person having charge of the minor, and possesses or exhibits it, without the supervision required by law:
    (a)?_?In a public place; or
    (b)?_?In a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner in violation of s. 790.10.

This subsection does not apply if the minor obtains the firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person.

ok yes. and i have already spoken to local pd officer. He says that FL law states I CAN have loaded in locked bedroom door. FL law only states must be unaccessable to children. Either way i am not paying for the "cabinet" my dad is buying me out of mine that is in his house in Indiana and i live in FL. SO he goin to pay for one to be sent to my house(surpizingly cheaprer). Then feb/march will be getting a real SAFE.