In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

8mm Mauser bullets (again)

PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased some 198gr FMJ bullets to reload some of my Mauser cases.
I see there's 200gr and 220gr bullets for the round.

The question: Will the M48 Yugo Mauser handle the 220gr bullets and pressures??

I may not go to the 220gr but, I am curious.

Thanx for the info, gents.
PTHEIM

Comments

• Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Using info from a manual or the bullet company you'll be fine.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "pressures" are the same regardless of bullet weight.
    I don't know what you're trying to do but the velocity achieveable with the 220 grain bullet is pretty low. In my comparisons, the 8mm 196 grain military load has significantly more penetration than US 150 grain 30/06 if that's your goal.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is not a question of bullet weight, it is a question of bullet diameter. If you have the smaller 0.318" bore, and the larger 0.323" bullets, no matter what weight you have it might not work well. You need to determine what bore diameter you have before you load anything.

Best

EDIT 1

OK then, with that information, there are a host of good bullet maker's that make the 0.323" diameter bullets for your rifle. Barnes, Hornady, Nosler, and Sierra all make bullets from 125 grain up to the 220, and possibly heavier. As stated, the pressures will remain the same, as the velocity will drop off with the heavier bullets, so you will be in no danger, even if you do shoot a heavier bullet. For most hunting on this continent, I would use the 180 grain Barnes TSX if the rifle liked it. However, PLEASE do not use the FMJ bullets for hunting of big game animals. It is very unethical, and in most states illegal to do so.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    It is not a question of bullet weight, it is a question of bullet diameter. If you have the smaller 0.318" bore, and the larger 0.323" bullets, no matter what weight you have it might not work well. You need to determine what bore diameter you have before you load anything.

Best

The bore on my M48 is .323".

I had 10yr ago 250 rounds of, what I know to be, 196gr steel cored FMJ Egyptian military. I now have 30 rounds left.

I am going to reload some of what brass I have w/the 198gr FMJ I bought recently.
    Most of the reloads will be for hunting purposes.

I wish to keep this bullet weight. I don't want to go lighter nor too heavy.

I was just curious if the M48 Yugo would handle the 220gr bullet and pressures. Not that I'm going to use them.

Thanx again gentlemen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information, gentlemen.

As I said some of the reloads will be the FMJs but most of the brass will be for hunting loads.
    I've been doing a bit of research for bullet components for the rounds that I'll use for my hunting ammo.
    I also said that I want to keep the 190gr - 200gr weights, I don't want to go lighter nor too heavy.

Thanx again for the help.
    I think I'm done now.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "196gr steel cored FMJ Egyptian military".......most (if not all) of the 'off shore' 8mm ammo use's berdan primers. not worth the trouble to reload