In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Superposed Handguard

SnigleySnigley Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
Guys, I inherited a 1958 Browning Superposed 12 ga. shotgun several years ago. Because I don't shoot it very often, I like to throughly clean it before I put it back in the case. My question is about the handguard. Maybe I'm just dumb but I can't get it off the barrel to clean under it. The one on my Citori comes right off. Is there a secret to getting this off or is it simply designed not to be removed? Thanks for any assistance!

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The foreend of the Browning Superposed slides forward to release the foreend iron and let the barrels be taken off the action. The foreend does not come off. I believe the owner's manual for the only one I bought new said it was not necessary for routine maintenance, the barrels underneath there had been treated with a rust preventive. The current manual just says DON'T TAKE YOUR SUPERPOSED SHOTGUN APART FURTHER THAN DISMOUNTING THE BARRELS FROM THE ACTION.

Of course if you have subjected it to harsh conditions, you will have to dig into it. I don't know offhand where to look for a complete mechanic's manual.
  • SnigleySnigley Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I downloaded a modern owners manual, but wasn't sure if it was appllicable to a 50 year old gun. It makes me feel a little smarter. [:)]
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    these are very nice shotguns and the last one was made just as well as the first one.btw it's "forend"......not "handgard"