In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR-15 Question

camodudecamodude Member Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have a complete ar-15 i read on another post that you cant change the caliber if it was stamped 5.56 on the lower. Whats the deal with that? I might want to change to 9 mm or 50 cal. In my state these guns are legal. What are the fed laws? Thanks David

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm sure this has been answered many times, but maybe you mind helping me out. What it the difference in accuracy between the older chrome lined Colt AR's and the newer models that are not chromed. I have seen the chrome lined barrels advertised as more accurate and wonder if that is true. If so, why did Colt stop producing them that way?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey guys its me again and I have a question reguarding sights on a AR-15. This past weekend I went sbooting with a buddy and I had trouble hiting the target with iron sights. This is what I am doing.

When I am looking down the sight I place the front sight post just under the opening of the rear sight. My questions is this correct? or do i place the top of the front sight in the center of the rear sight? My buddy also had trouble hitting the target. FYI the target was approximately 100yards away. Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sendra corp/rock island model m15a1?? any good appx value in nra 90% condition. thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can a gun smith modify your post-ban barrel to accept pre-ban flash hiders? I'm not asking if it is possible,because I'm sure it is,but have you ever heard of it being done? If so how much would it cost? I have a couple rifles I need to do, both are colt HBAR.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a reciever made by JDW from Plano Texas. It has auto stamped on the reciever around the selector for cosmetic purposes. Would it be legal to get a full auto selector and use. Not to use as full auto, just for the cosmetic coolness. Im assuming that it would still fire semi auto without all the other parts involved. Can u even get a full auto selector?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, 2 questions actually. I just ordered a Chip McCormick trigger group for my AR (Olympic lower reciever), does anyone have any experience with them, and comments about them? I'm replacing the current "guts" (so to speak) of the rifle due to an Olofson style malfunction. When I pulled the charging handle back to chamber a round and let it go, it fired 4 rounds full-auto without my finger touching the trigger. Will putting the new trigger group in stop these sear malfuntions? It seemed to me that there was disproportiante wear on the sear when I examined it (over a year from the malfunction - the dang thing scared me after that and I took it down and threw it in my closet) and the rifle had barely 200 rounds through it from when I bought it new originally (bought the lower at a gun show, upper through mail order).

My other question is in regards to Wolf ammunition. What experiences has anyone had with it, and do you have any complaints with it? Once the rifle is confirmed functioning normal and in safe condition, I'd like to be able to shoot it again, and Wolf is the least expensive round I found, and since I will just basically be plinking, I don't want to pony up the $$$ for quality ammo.

Your opinions, please?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a ar-15 pistol upper[flat top] . I also have a A2 bushmaster heavy brrl upper[carry hndl] . Can i switch the 2 uppers so my rifle is a flat top . My friend said you cant because of the lack of feed ramps in the pistol upper . Is this true ??
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are several variables involved here. Putting a barrel with M4 type feed cuts on an upper w/o corresponding cuts is not a problem but putting a noncut barrel on an upper with the feed cuts is bad. The parts themselves should fit together w/o issue.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rather than consult a friend, you need to consult the gunsmith who will R&R the barrels for you.

Depending upon what you actually have, & the skill of whoever assembled the uppers, you may or may not be able to use them.

Neal

EDIT: Dude, am I confused? My understanding is that you want to have your gunsmith remove the barrel & bolt from both uppers, & switch them; then, you want to install the pistol upper, which will now have the rifle barrel & bolt, onto your lower. Is that right?

EDIT: Dude, now I'm really confused; are you saying that your pistol upper currently has a barrel at least 16" long? If not, then the rest of us on this forum have a failure to communicate.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me point out that putting a pistol length upper onto a rifle lower (stock present or NOT) creates what's known as a "short barreled rifle" and without the appropriate Federal paperwork and fee-paying, is a BIG Federal "no-no".

Assuming such a short-barreled rifle were legal in your jurisdiction (its not in every state) and you were hunky-dory with the paperwork, fees, and waiting time, I think the answer is that you should be able to physically do the switch pretty easily.

The real question is whether or not your new creation would actually function reliably after doing this. Rather than try to guess, I think it would be pretty simple to do the empirical test.

In fact, you might just test to see if you could manually cycle dummy rounds through the hybrid gun. While the converse isn't necessarily true, if it won't work with dummy rounds, it definitely won't work with live ones.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes as long as you abide by all applicable laws.

CP
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just changing the uppers only .. I did talk to a gunsmith today and there are no laws prohibiting me from doing it . And yes there is a diff. in the uppers . A rifle has feed ramps pistols dont . He said with a lil bit of grinding and polishing all should be well with the changing of the uppers .
  • Options
    jplooksterjplookster Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Beantown if you do that you create a short barreled rifle because the lower is a rifle lower. The barrel must be 16 inch's or longer.

Ask your gunsmith what he knows about SBR's.

Dont let the gunsmithe grind on your pistol upper. If it shoots fine as it is it needs nothing. There is nothing about the rifle lower that has anything at all to do with feed ramps.
    If the barrel extension on the pistol upper does not have ramps then the upper receiver does not need them.
    In a semi I have never seen the need for M4 style feed ramps. All they seem to do to me is bugger up the brass.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought camodude just wanted to swap out the uppers so the flat top will have the heavy barrel to comply with the "law". Like it's been mentioned if the cuts will fit then I don't see why not. Personally I'd rather just buy/build a third upper to your spec. figuring the cost of the gunsmith's time might be the same for a new upper.
  • Options
    jplooksterjplookster Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah I guess it depends on if he wants to swap barrels between uppers or uppers on the rifle.

At any rate an unramped upper will work with a ramped barrel extension, OTH a ramped upper will not work with a unramped barrel extension.

Usually flat tops have ramps and A2 style uppers don't. The opposite of his description.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by camodude
    Just changing the uppers only .. I did talk to a gunsmith today and there are no laws prohibiting me from doing it . And yes there is a diff. in the uppers . A rifle has feed ramps pistols dont . He said with a lil bit of grinding and polishing all should be well with the changing of the uppers .

GET A NEW GUNSMITH NOW. There is NO difference between pistol and rifle other then barrel length (assuming they are the same caliber). Grinding is NOT how a competent gunsmith works nor the proper fix for that issue.

Now one issue you can come across is M4 feed ramps (which has NOTHING to do with being a pistol or not)

Here is a pic of feed ramps:

gallery_18313_138_71257.jpg