In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Connecticut Question

MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
A Connecticut Resident in the past could not buy a long gun in NY or PA without showing a valid hunting license. Is that still true ?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Federal law requires that a FTF long gun sale by an FFL to a resident of another state must comply with the laws of both states.

I am unaware of any law in CT requiring CT residents to have a hunting license for any firearms purchase. I don't know of any gun law in any other state that specifically applies to CT residents.

CT requires that an FFL delivering a long gun to anyone must complete a form provided by the Commissioner of Public Safety. There are also restrictions on so-called assault weapons, & Bridgeport, Hartford, & New Haven have their own gun laws. For these reasons, I'd be surprised if a CT dealer would sell a gun to a nonresident, or vice versa.

Neal
  • Options
    tambourinemantambourineman Member Posts: 150 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    CT residents are not required to have a hunting license to purchase a long gun, but without either a hunting license or a CT pistol permit, you will have a 15 day waiting period in CT.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the hunting license is to show that you are not a convicted felon. it's protection for the seller even in private sales to say that the buyer had a state issued hunting license which shows the person is not a felon.