In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AR-15 Buttstock Rotating

vin211vin211 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
Good Evening Everyone,

Over the past couple of times I have been out shooting I have noticed that my collapsable stock on my Stag Arms AR-15 is always rotating / moving around.

I have a wrench and I always tighten it back up but for some reason of course it always loosens. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? It gets pretty annoying after a while.

Thanks,

Sgt Z

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Absent getting a bigger wrench, try a dab of locktite.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well that might be why they are usually staked when you get a factory gun.

Again make sure it is tight or put a dab of Loctite on it.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The castle nut keeps backing up, because it is not staked. Take a fine cold chisel and stake the nut in two places in conjunction with the back plate. If you ever want to remove it, a dremel with a fine cut off wheel will remove the stakes.

Best
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    If you want to do things correctly the castle nut should be torqued to 40 inch pounds then staked in place. That's the tried and true, Eugene Stoner design, milspec proven method which has worked on millions of these rifles since the early 1960's.

I've seen many M16's whose receiver extensions and castle nuts continued to remain tight through lots of rounds after being properly torqued and left unstaked, but it's your insurance that this issue never raises it's head at an inopportune time.

The other, less sure and non-critical use method is to simply get it 'good and tight' and then glue it in place with blue Loctite.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Txs has it right. Be careful with a pliers or vice-grip type tool, it'll mar the finish. You can get the proper stock-nut wrench from any online retailer for a few bucks.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And here are the images worth a thousand words:

If you need the thousand words too, try entering the phrase "staking castle nut" into Google or your favorite search engine

Before:
    Staking%20castle%20nut.jpg

After:
    img6344t.jpg
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That last picture shows where the nut was staked with the hammer-punch and then a bit of JB Weld was added as well. That one won't be moving again.
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you sure your buffer retainer is properly engaged into the buffer tube? Also a few dabs of red loctite and the proper torque would be as good as a stake IMHO.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by deerhntr
    Are you sure your buffer retainer is properly engaged into the buffer tube? Also a few dabs of red loctite and the proper torque would be as good as a stake IMHO.

Not all buffer tubes have the notch. I have had to cut a few in on my own on my own guns.