In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Standard or Dual Dovetail Scope Mount

redpeteredpete Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
Is one system better than the other?

When should a guy use the standard mount system (with the windage screws on the back)?

When should the dual dovetail system be used?

Thanks.

Steve

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The standard Redfield design front rotary dovetail rear opposing screws gives coarse windage adjustment in the scope base. This was important 65 years ago when scopes did not have centered reticles and you needed adjustments in the base to get things lined up. It can still be valuable if factory QC lets a receiver through with misaligned base screw holes, so you don't run out of adjustment. I had one of those at one time.

The advantage of the dual dovetail type is that both rings are supporting the scope against recoil.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you speak of dual-dovetail are you talking about a SAKO? I have an old L-46 .222 with a set of Redfield dual dovetail mounts/rings. They have never moved in the 30+ years I have been using them. On the other hand I used conventional bases on a Remington M-700 .300 WinMag. They were properly installed and they never moved, either. The coarse adjustment windage windage screws on the rear base are great for bore-sighting, then they should be locked down with a bit of Lock-Tite on the LEFT screw only. To put a dual-dovetail base on a conventional receiver and then put mounts/rings on top of that would only increase the chance for something to get loose. My $.02 worth is that the dual-dovetail mounts should be used on receivers machined for them and conventional bases used on other receivers.

edit 1; Ah, I was thinking about a completely different "dual-dovetail".
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any other thoughts?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The dual dovetail, or Redfield style turn in with adjustable windage, are OK, and have been the standard by which most other's have been judged for years. The all STEEL Weaver style Picatinny base with the appropriate rings are even better and stronger. Burris makes a great base and tactical ring of that style too. Not that one needs to be tacticool, but they are strong and rigid, and that adds to inherent accuracy of the whole package.

By the way...if you are using the Redfield style with the windage adjustment, or the dual dovetail mount, make sure you get the proper wrenches, or dowels to use to turn them in. DO not under any circumstances clamp the ring on the scope tube and use the scope to turn them in.

Best