In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My new Colt New Army (?) with questions

quietman123quietman123 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
Good morning. I stuck my neck out on a purchase yesterday. A local collector sold me a Colt New Army, I believe. The top of the barrel has two lines, Colt's Pt. F A MFG. CO. HARTFORD CT USA, second line patent dates of 1884 1888 1895. So far so good. Revolver is in amazing condition. bluing probably 95%. Left side of barrel has Colt D.A. 38. Now to the good stuff. I own an 1883 Cot SAA Artillery revolver with RAC (Rinaldo A. Carr) stamped on the revolver. I understand he was a civilian inspector working for the government. My new colt has his initials stamped above the left grip along with L.E.B. (have not found out who this is yet). RAC also under the barrel and on the face of the cylinder. There is no Colt logo on left side above grip. This is where the initials are. Bore is perfect. Grips are wood and in near mint condition and do have a glossy appearance. No initials on the grips. The number 1466 is on the cylinder latch and cylinder face but no where else. There is no serial number on the bottom of grip strap. I read the 1466 may be related to parts not serial number in which case there is no serial number. The cylinder locking notches are almost square rather than the rectangular ones I have seen on-line. Also, the little knob on the end of the cylinder rod (not correct name but under barrel) is smooth not checkered as others. I found an almost identical revolver on armchairgunshow.com under Colt revolvers calling it a Special order Colt New Army with unique features. This one has the checkered "knob" and rampant Colt above left grip and has a 6 digit serial number. They describe theirs as special order that used government parts. I would appreciate the thoughts of forum members. I paid $525 for this one. I am cautiously optimistic I may have done well. I can email photos but cannot figure how to post them. Is it possible this revolver started as a military gun and then had the serial number on bottom of the frame removed for some purpose? Thanks...Dan

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beats me. Flayderman does not begin to address stuff in that detail.

quote:Is it possible this revolver started as a military gun and then had the serial number on bottom of the frame removed for some purpose?

Sure. The usual purpose was to avoid prosecution for theft of government equipment. Now, possession of a gun which has had its serial number removed, defaced, or altered is illegal.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Local collector gave you a bill of sale? If so, there has to be a SerNo on the bill of sale. Are we on the same page in this regard? Thanks, Joe
  • Options
    peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did not thank a gun had to have a serial # before a certain date, which I do not remember.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "There is no serial number on the bottom of grip strap"

IMHO, You should return the Colt to the seller and get your money back before it causes you problems.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by peddler
    I did not thank a gun had to have a serial # before a certain date, which I do not remember.

Firearms were not required to have a serial number until GCA 1968.
    BUT, it is illegal to remove the serial number from any gun made any time that had one to start with. If Colt ever made a gun without serial number, I don't know of it.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hawk is partly correct . Pistols had to have serial numbers after the FIRST gun Control Act. of 1934. However there are some so called LUNCH BOX pistols that if you can prove were made before 1934 and prove never had a serial number they are legal to own as well as sell I have one such pistol a 1911 made in 1918. That I have a letter from the BATF stating it is legal for me to have or sell. However if the serial number has been destroyed then you most likely will be charged with a felony. If the serial number is WORN off then BATF may assign a replacement serial number . The pistol will have to be inspected by BATF for them to make a decision. They may chose to give you a replacement number or may chose to destroy the pistol. I would give the seller the option of taking the pistol back with full refund to you or he taking pistol to BATF for inspection and if new serial number is given by BATF the seller gives you the pistol. and the deal stands. I would not keep the pistol AS IS.
  • Options
    quietman123quietman123 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After reading the many replies, I called the seller and he took it back. He truly believed the revolver never had a serial number. I did not argue the point. He was nice about it. I through in more dough and bought a Colt M1991a1 compact 45, this one has a serial number. Happy ending. Thanks to all for the comments. I learn something every day.
    Dan