In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Mod. 67 rear sight

hipshoothipshoot Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have a mod. 67 That shoots 3-4" high with the ramp on the rear sight removed so the sight sits flat on the barrel. With the ramp installed in lowest notch it even shoots higher which it is suppose to do. What else can I do to get this gun to shoot lower?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    either one or two things cause your rifle to shoot high if the rear sight is at the lowest you can getit #1 the front sight has been broken off or replaced with a lower sight or #2 the barrel has somehow gotten bent . I would get a taller front sight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have looked at just about all of the mod 67's that are up for auction on Gunbroker and the sight's I have on my gun look identical. This gun is in very good condition so I rather doubt the barrel is bent however anything can happen. It was my dads gun and has not been shot much. It shoots decent tight groups other than the fact I cannot get it to shoot lower.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, The more I look at this rear sight, I'm wondering if IT was replaced. I measured the depth of the groove and it is approx. .060 deep. Now if that was deeper it would allow me to shoot lower. Please, Correct me if I'm wrong! It's hard to see on any of the photo's of mod. 67's on Gunbroker auctions how deep the rear sight V is. Further more, It probably wouldn't need to be much deeper that .060 to help me.
  • Options
    kms1961kms1961 Member Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the rears on mine are right at .060 give are take. the fronts are .250 from top of barrel to top of sight. Hope this might help in someway.
    Kevin
    I have the elevators for mine but all are out. didn't need them. and yes i think yours can shoot good gpoups with a bent barrel. it wouldn't take much of a bow to make that diffrence. maybe try running a good straight edge down the underside and see if you can see a slight rock in it.
    Kevin
  • Options
    kylewkylew Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bent barrel I'd guess. I have a 40 plus year career in straightening bent steel shafting of all sizes and materials. IE pump shafts, Hyd cyl rods, etc. It can be fixed but is not a job for a novice. BTW Do NOT use a press ever.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Also I will describe how this type of bent barrel occurs. 1. Hunter carries rifle in right hand a center of gravity for balance at arms length. 2. Hunter trips and falls forward. 3. Hunter not wanting to drop the rifle holds on and as he impacts the ground the butt of stock and muzzle make contact first. 4. Hunters weight presses down in the center of rifle and bends the muzzle up. These are the results you have seen. It only takes one trip like this to have these results. Lesson... hike with rifle on sling.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Kevin,
    My front sight also measures .250 measuring like you did. Thanks for the info.
    Kylew,
    If my barrel is bent, Would it still shoot tight groups as this one does? What is the procedure to check for a bent barrel? Can a gunsmith straighten?
    One of the other things I noticed is that some of the other Winchester model 67's that are on auction do not have the so called (elevator blade) under the rear sight. Is it because they were lost, or due to the fact that the rear sight needed to be lowered as low as possible like mine in attempt to try to shoot lower.
    Mine never had the elevator blade so I don't know if my dad removed it or if it never came with on. I got to believe that all 67's came with one.
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own three Winchester model 67 rifles.One of mine is missing the elevator.It has a copper penny under it at the moment.I will take the elevator off one of the others and make a copy of it.

EvilDr235
  • Options
    ALFONSEALFONSE Member Posts: 203 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the correct elevator. Al
    Visit our web store for new, used, and reproduction gun parts: https://gungaragestore.com/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You did not state at what distance it shoots 4" high and the geometry of this depends on the distance. In answer to your questions... First I am not a gunsmith. 2. Yes it could shoot tight groups with a bent barrel. 3. You can sometimes see a slight bend by removing the barrel and shinning a bright light down the end or you could make a mandrel that is 0.004 smaller than the bore and see if it will run the length with no hang up. This is by feel as the mandrel will flex. You have to pre straighten the mandrel to within .001 over the length. You run the mandrel in at least 4 times and "clocked" in four orientations. 1200, 0300, 0600 , and 0900. That way you can tell if its the mandrel or the barrel that is not straight. It may not go through easily, mark it , clock it and run again. Most times things like this will not have an long even bend they tend to have a kink in about 2-3 inches of the run. 4. Gunsmith fix? Unknown... Since I am not a gunsmith and am not qualified to speak to this I will not disclose here how I straighten things. Just know that I have been successful in fixing this type of thing. FYI I have straightened heavy walled hydraulic cylinder's with a .500 wall and as big as 8" OD and solid rods as big as 6" OD x 20' long with a 2" swail. Gun barrel only once.