In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AKMS jamming

grayingghostgrayingghost Member Posts: 131 ✭✭
edited August 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a new Century Polish AKMS, really sharp gun and surprisingly accurate. It came with 2 Bulgarian? steel mags. I had peculiar jam with one mag., round fed completely in chamber but bolt wouldn't close, and I couldn't get it to close. Replaced in mag and then it worked? I was using Herter's ammo. This happened twice (once per full mag load). I since got 4 more mags. 3 that say made in china and one plastic Tapco, they all run flawlessly. I dug out that mag and tried dry feeding to look for problem but can't find any -and- now if a round is in the chamber and I let the bolt fly, the extractor will jump over the rim and fully close. The previous jams were because the extractor wouldn't snap over the rim and the bolt simply wouldn't close. Fired over 500rds. with other mags with no problems. Does this sound like an ammo problem, mag problem or did this gun just need 'breaking in'????

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    needs breaking in.. will it dump a mag now?
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't ride the bolt.

Make sure when chambering your 1st round out of the mag that you are pulling the charging handle all the way to the rear and letting it spring forward.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the problem went away by itself, it was a "breaking in" issue and you've answered your own question.

If the problem is restricted to one mag, its probably a mag problem (and it might be a mag breaking in problem).

New guns out of the box often have have grease, metal shavings, and or other gunk in there, and even if you did a rudimentary cleaning before taking it out to the range (something you should do on all new guns for exactly this reason), you may not have scrubbed under/around the extractor.

New mags can still have issues. They can have burrs on the feed lips or bent/badly adjusted ones, bad followers, etc. If your problem is restricted to one mag, you might consider taking it apart, and giving it a good looking over.