In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1911 Ambi Safety... Favorite?

retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in Ask the Experts
I've got a new 1911 that has an Ambi Safety much like the Mueschke safety.
Uses a modified sear pin to capture the Ambi Side Safety.

In taking it down to clean it tonight... The thumb safety was REAL Difficult to come apart.
The tang and groove fit is EXTREMELY tight... Seems the tang needs to be thinned just slightly.

I'm either gonna replace the Ambi Safety with a Non-Ambi Standard style safety...
Or another, better fitting, Ambi Safety... Possibly the Mueschke.

Anyone have a suggestion or favorite Ambi-Safety...?

Comments

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's the one with a cut slot in the pin to keep it together right? The cool thing is you never have to worry about it coming apart on you.

The combo I like is the Ed Brown Tacical and Wide. You have to buy two sets or grind one side thin. Since my gun was blued I bought two.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been able to carefully remove a little material from each side of the tang...

Works like a charm now... I do like that design, the Mueschke, with the sear pin caption.
    Makes for a clean working safety.

I may get a couple from either Brownell's or Midway to outfit my other 1911's.... [;)]
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58
    I've been able to carefully remove a little material from each side of the tang...

Works like a charm now... I do like that design, the Mueschke, with the sear pin caption.
    Makes for a clean working safety.

I may get a couple from either Brownell's or Midway to outfit my other 1911's.... [;)]

Robert, I have two blue ones that I changed out from mine.They could be put up with a BIN for you. My favorite is the Swenson style [;)]
    Email if interested.