In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Advice on trap gun for small older lady

wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
edited August 2012 in Ask the Experts
A friend and I have just begun to shoot some trap (at our advanced ages). We shoot mostly for fun. We would like our wives to shoot with us. However, both are short (5'-5'2") with short arms. Even the youth models that we have tried seem a little long for them and we have not located a "trap youth model" except in semiautos. These ladies (and us) are beginners.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated. Would a semiauto be a good idea for a beginner? Recoil is also an issue for my wife as she has some neck problems.

Comments

• Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A gas operated semi will help reduce recoil.

I'd look at the possibility of a youth sized semi, and then plan on cutting the stock down to appropriate size and putting on a good recoil pad.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would recommend something along these lines...
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=303610528

It;s lighter and shorter than most semi's.
    While I wouldn't normally start a new shooter on a 20 gauge, {usually a 12 gage}
    the lighter gun will help not to "tire her out"
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you are shooting doubles trap, a semiauto would probably be fine for a beginner as the shells are single loaded which is easy enough to do through the ejection port on most. Drop the shell in and push the button.

If you can find an 1100 youth with 21" barrel that might work.

If you go semiauto, go gas vs recoil. It reduces felt recoil.

Cutting stocks can be problematic at times as it changes the center of mass and the weight goes goes from between the hands forward and make the gun barrel heavy.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good for you, I hope you are having fun. A cut to fit short 20 ga 1100 sounds good to me. You can add weight to the butt or mag tube.

You might consider having them do lots of just shouldering the weapon to build up strength and endurance. Maybe even some additional light weight work out for their arms and upper body. I loved rifle PT in the Army.
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago when my wife and daughter (age 10 or so) wanted to try trap, I bought a Remington 1100 LT-20 semi auto shotgun with a 26" vent rib Rem-Choke barrel. I then purchased a reduced length composite stock set for it. My daughter used it for several years before she graduated to a 12GA 1100. The gun is light weight and with target loads the recoil is very manageable. You might want to rent guns to start to get a feel for what works for you.
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they made an LT 20 youth wood stock that's what I'd look for Used one with both my son and daughter.I would not go synthetic due to the reduced weigth
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the time, price is of a concern. However, I would suggest first something that is ported, and backbored, as this reduces recoil dramatically. I would go for trying to find a used BT-99, that has such features as porting, back bored, and an adjustable comb. Then, I would second the semi-auto.

Best
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a Beretta Urika Gold Sporting autoloader and it doesn't kick hardly at all with heavy trap loads.

Semiauto's are nice guns for youth & ladies to handle because the gases escaping/ bolt cycling helps reduce felt recoil.

Good luck finding a factory stock that would fit. My wife is about the same size. The one gun I found that fit her really good(TriStar 20ga O/U) just kicked to hard & she just gave up.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Gas operated semi as above. Several options to reduce recoil.
    1. Make it 12 ga. and light loads.
    2. Beretta now offers the "kick off" system that reduces recoil by about 44% (they claim).
    3. There are Graco systems that can be added to about any stock, plus Mercury recoil reduction systems.
    4. Ported and over bore (as stated above).
    5. Shell catcher so she doesn't need to pick up hulls.

HAVE THE GUN FITTED TO HER BY A GUNSMITH!! Yes can be expensive but if you want to keep her shooting proper fit will be better then all the above. My wife is only 5'2" and never liked shooting a shotgun because mine didn't fit her (she is a pistol shooter normally). I got a Lady Gold, ported, Mercury system, oversize pad, and had the stock fitted to her, she now shoots quite often with no issues about recoil.
  • Options
    wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. Will look at a semi (1100 or Beretta) & try to get a stock that fits her. As one would expect, she likes the look of the Remington compact 870 in pink camo. LOL
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wtroper
    Thanks for the input. Will look at a semi (1100 or Beretta) & try to get a stock that fits her. As one would expect, she likes the look of the Remington compact 870 in pink camo. LOL

Got one of those for one of my nieces for Christmas last year...She loves it!