In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger Scout 308

TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in Ask the Experts
What scope mounts would work best to keep the scope mounted to the rear like most rifles. I just don't think it mounted so far forward would be my ideal set up. Help and thanks in advance

Comments

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dude it's a "SCOUT". If you want to mount the scopes in the "regular" spot, look at a different rifle and save a few hundred dollars.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    You just have to remove the rear sight and use regular Ruger rings [;)] It's set up for both scopes.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, you "can" mount a conventional scope there. . .

The question is whether or not you "should".

Regardless of the actual merits of the setup (which is debatable, I think), the main hallmark of the Jeff Cooper "Scout" rifle concept was the forward mounted scope to allow for fast two-eye open aiming, plus to allow backup iron sights.

He called it a "scout" rifle, and the term stuck to refer to ALL rifles with foward mounted long-eye relief scopes.

If you're not really interested in the "scout"-type forward mounted optics setup, you're defeating much (if not most) of the purpose of this rifle.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carbine comes to mind here short and fast
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TooBig
    What scope mounts would work best to keep the scope mounted to the rear like most rifles. I just don't think it mounted so far forward would be my ideal set up. Help and thanks in advance

If bought new it should have come with Ruger rings. Just remove the rear sight and attach. If bought used you can buy Ruger, Burris or Leupold rings. Thing is, most of the Ruger style rings you'll find have a polished blue finish and won't match up all that well with the matte finish of the GSR. I'd suggest getting the GSR specific rings from Ruger. You'll probably have to remove the rail to have the rear mounted scope fit otherwise the front bell will hit the rail.

I just bought the GSR. I'm usually a "walnut & blued steel" buyer but decided to go with something different. I use a Weaver 2.5 to 8X handgun scope with matte Burris Zee rings. The scope sits very, very low and just barely (as in credit card width) clears the rail. I use a Scope Eeze 1/4" cheek elevator to gat a good cheek weld and a PRI muzzle brake. Loud as hell but I have to say the rifle doesn't even move when fired, I think it's a great brake. The factory FH came off easy.

I was very surprised at accuracy, it was excellent using Hornady 155 Palma and RL 15 powder - a nice "3 shots touching" at 100 yds.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why do you need to remove the rear sight, is it different than a regular Ruger model 77?
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CS8161
    Why do you need to remove the rear sight, is it different than a regular Ruger model 77?

It clamps on the rear scope mount grooves.

Ruger-Gunsite-Scout-2-580x369.jpg