In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shot gun

harley99bharley99b Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
Hay out there is there anybody who can tell me anything about a shot gun my buddy has? Its A w.w.greener 10 ga. with side hammers? he's had it for 50 plus years and he's wondering if its worth anything & anything about it?? Thanks Mike

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What can anyone tell me about a 12ga single shot with a folding stock made in go into govt. air craft ie c130.it says on one side of receiver--made for kimel ind--matthews n.c usa
    the other side of receiver says--12 gauge-23/4 inch
    fi ind wash.D.C
    it has the flaming bomb and u.s stamp on it.
    Is it worth keeping--it is in nice shape.
    Thanks,
    Craig
  • Options
    edited November -1
    CAN ANY 1 TELL ME ABOUT A 870 REMINGTON 12GAGE SHOT GUN SER NUMBER IS B854529M DUCKES UNLIMITED CANT FIND OUT MUCH OR PRICE RANGE IS IT A EXPRESS OR WING MASTER
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a mossberg 500 12GA that is crome or silver with a wood stock, does any body know what it is worth
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Could some one tell me more about Hiawatha shot gun, probebly from the 1950's
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking for a stock for a H&R 120 bolt action 16ga shotgun anyone got any leads
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes it's worth something. Condition is everything. Famous brand name that made serviceable to fancy grade.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Firearms/BI.aspx?Keywords=w.w.greener

link above has 2 current listings - note the pictures

here is how to post them http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

added maybe he will lucky and it will be Wells Fargo stagecoach gun.
    I'm betting cut down due to damage or for crowd pleasing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you sir!! This gun is short maybe 20in?? Bls. Its in real good shape for its age! & it does have the rabit ear hammers!!
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    20" barrels, very unlikely to be original, for a older hammer gun.

The name also might be bogus. Back around the turn of the 20th Century. All kinds of inexpensive Belgian made hammer guns, were imported with spurious English looking names.

We need quality close-up photos of the gun, and all markings for identification and valuation.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will have him to make sure of the length. I might be wrong.. They could be 16in.!! I will let you know!! Thanks Mike
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would be illegal.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    That [a shotgun with 16" or shorter barrels] would be illegal.

Not necessarily.

If the gun were manufactured prior to 1899, it would be considered an antique weapon, and FEDERAL law against short barreled shotguns wouldn't apply. (State law still might).

This sounds nuts, but as a company WW Greener does go back that far, and its not entirely impossible that this might apply. WW Greener actually does still exist, and they might be able to assist in establishing date of manufacture here (or establishing the legitimacy of the gun, vs a knockoff).

Also, if the gun were registered as a short barrelled shotgun, it might still be legal (although that seems improbable).

Assuming neither of these things are true, it would be a shame to have to have something like this destroyed. If, for example, the barrels of the gun were removed, and sold or transferred to a different individual such that they were no longer under the control of the guns' owner, then the gun would no longer be legally considered an NFA item. That would at least remove the immediate legal thread of possession, I think. Might be worth consultation with a lawyer to see if there is some legal procedure that might be followed to get this done correctly.